I bought a 1 bathroom, 4 bedroom ranch three months ago with a 1,750 gallon septic system that was installed in 2000. Everything passed on inspection. Three weeks into it, the toilet started spitting back toiler paper and gurgling after flushing. It quit flushing, with standing water in the bowl. Then water started pouring out the bottom of the toilet.
The sewer & drain guy came, snaked it, proclaimed something was stuck in the pipe in the basement, and promptly broke his snake on the object. He also tested the tub and sink and only the sink caused a similar backup. He proceeded to power auger the entire line from the vent cap on the roof. He claimed he hit something hard at 60', and whatever it was got shot out to the septic tank. He put the toilet back on, tested everything, and it's worked beautifully ever since with the exception of the sound of water dripping in the sewer pipe after a flush. It can be heard both upstairs in the bathroom and downstairs next to the connection.
Today, the same symptoms occurred and I have toilet meltdown again with water everywhere from the base of the toilet. Obviously, the mysterious object didn't climb back up out of the septic so before I spend another $400 for three months of hassle free plumbing...does anyone have any ideas as to what this could actually be? And should I demand that he pull the cap on the line in the basement going out to the septic this time?
HELP!! septic questions
embarrassing question about toilet paper and toilets
Trailer toilet gas trauma, yuck-peeuu!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects