I ran across this item at Costco today (link at bottom) made by Watts. It is a hot water recirculator (pump included) for about $180. You install it near your hot water heater and it is supposed to give you instant hot water and save you over 10,000 gallons of water per year. Couple of questions:
1) Is it legit and will it really save water and energy (this is my primary objective for installation)?
2) Is it easy for someone w/very little (I don't want to have to solder anything myself) to install?
3) If it isn't that easy to install, what kind of price would I pay for a plumber to install it?
If your pump came with a 4 port manifold that mounts underneath your furthest fixture, i.e.vanity sink, you don't need a return line or loop. Grundfos sells a system called the Comfort System. With the manifold, it utilizes the cold water line as your recirc loop. However, either pump system requires soldering and check valve installation and preferrably isolation valves at the water heater. They sell compression adaptors that circumvent the need for soldering. But I would advise against it. Hope this helps.
Hot Water Heater Question
Hot water heater questions
low hot water pressure after new heater was installed
Sediment in hot water
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes