I ran across this item at Costco today (link at bottom) made by Watts. It is a hot water recirculator (pump included) for about $180. You install it near your hot water heater and it is supposed to give you instant hot water and save you over 10,000 gallons of water per year. Couple of questions:
1) Is it legit and will it really save water and energy (this is my primary objective for installation)?
2) Is it easy for someone w/very little (I don't want to have to solder anything myself) to install?
3) If it isn't that easy to install, what kind of price would I pay for a plumber to install it?
If your pump came with a 4 port manifold that mounts underneath your furthest fixture, i.e.vanity sink, you don't need a return line or loop. Grundfos sells a system called the Comfort System. With the manifold, it utilizes the cold water line as your recirc loop. However, either pump system requires soldering and check valve installation and preferrably isolation valves at the water heater. They sell compression adaptors that circumvent the need for soldering. But I would advise against it. Hope this helps.
Hot Water Heater Question
Hot water heater questions
low hot water pressure after new heater was installed
Sediment in hot water
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love