I ran across this item at Costco today (link at bottom) made by Watts. It is a hot water recirculator (pump included) for about $180. You install it near your hot water heater and it is supposed to give you instant hot water and save you over 10,000 gallons of water per year. Couple of questions:
1) Is it legit and will it really save water and energy (this is my primary objective for installation)?
2) Is it easy for someone w/very little (I don't want to have to solder anything myself) to install?
3) If it isn't that easy to install, what kind of price would I pay for a plumber to install it?
If your pump came with a 4 port manifold that mounts underneath your furthest fixture, i.e.vanity sink, you don't need a return line or loop. Grundfos sells a system called the Comfort System. With the manifold, it utilizes the cold water line as your recirc loop. However, either pump system requires soldering and check valve installation and preferrably isolation valves at the water heater. They sell compression adaptors that circumvent the need for soldering. But I would advise against it. Hope this helps.
Hot Water Heater Question
Hot water heater questions
low hot water pressure after new heater was installed
Sediment in hot water
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight