I had my floor refinished last week with 3 coats of oil based poly. once dry, the floors has all little blisters and a prickly feeling on the floor. It was suggested by my floor guy to buff down the floors again and put a fourth coat on them as a fix.. They look worse. He wants to fix them again by buffing down and applying a water based poly on top of the oil to removes the bumps.. I have been told you should not apply water based poly on oiled floor.. please help i need to make a decision soon.. Thanks
Either the floor was not dry before the successive coats were applied or the floor was not properly vacuumed and cleaned after sanding. Either way,the floors need to be redone and the responsibility is with the finisher. The tackiness is a result of the finish being applied too thickly ,the prior floor finish not being completely removed (doubt it)and lastly, applying finish over still wet finish.
There also could have been wax on the floors that was not removed when they were sanded and that will cause the finish to remain tacky and blister or bubble. The floors need to sanded again and wiped with a solvent to remove the wax and finisd applied again. Putting more finish on the floors will just make them look worse as you have found out.
staining new windows
Can I match the stain from old red oak to new red oa...
kitchen cabinet finishing (new wood)
Oil Based Paint On Carpet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!