I had my floor refinished last week with 3 coats of oil based poly. once dry, the floors has all little blisters and a prickly feeling on the floor. It was suggested by my floor guy to buff down the floors again and put a fourth coat on them as a fix.. They look worse. He wants to fix them again by buffing down and applying a water based poly on top of the oil to removes the bumps.. I have been told you should not apply water based poly on oiled floor.. please help i need to make a decision soon.. Thanks
Either the floor was not dry before the successive coats were applied or the floor was not properly vacuumed and cleaned after sanding. Either way,the floors need to be redone and the responsibility is with the finisher. The tackiness is a result of the finish being applied too thickly ,the prior floor finish not being completely removed (doubt it)and lastly, applying finish over still wet finish.
There also could have been wax on the floors that was not removed when they were sanded and that will cause the finish to remain tacky and blister or bubble. The floors need to sanded again and wiped with a solvent to remove the wax and finisd applied again. Putting more finish on the floors will just make them look worse as you have found out.
staining new windows
Can I match the stain from old red oak to new red oa...
kitchen cabinet finishing (new wood)
Oil Based Paint On Carpet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!