I had my floor refinished last week with 3 coats of oil based poly. once dry, the floors has all little blisters and a prickly feeling on the floor. It was suggested by my floor guy to buff down the floors again and put a fourth coat on them as a fix.. They look worse. He wants to fix them again by buffing down and applying a water based poly on top of the oil to removes the bumps.. I have been told you should not apply water based poly on oiled floor.. please help i need to make a decision soon.. Thanks
Either the floor was not dry before the successive coats were applied or the floor was not properly vacuumed and cleaned after sanding. Either way,the floors need to be redone and the responsibility is with the finisher. The tackiness is a result of the finish being applied too thickly ,the prior floor finish not being completely removed (doubt it)and lastly, applying finish over still wet finish.
There also could have been wax on the floors that was not removed when they were sanded and that will cause the finish to remain tacky and blister or bubble. The floors need to sanded again and wiped with a solvent to remove the wax and finisd applied again. Putting more finish on the floors will just make them look worse as you have found out.
staining new windows
Can I match the stain from old red oak to new red oa...
kitchen cabinet finishing (new wood)
Oil Based Paint On Carpet
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes