I live in and 86 yr. old home. I recently found mold in our attic and above our drop ceiling tiles in the front part of our living room. We, also, have wood paneling in the living room. We plan on taking out the ceiling and paneling, and putting up drywall. We also planned on making the attic into 2 bedrooms later on. The attic is not insulated and has plaster walls. The roof was put on in the early 90's. We have very little money and are looking for the least expensive way to get rid of the mold and make sure it doesn't reoccur once we put up drywall. How do we clean the mold to make sure it doesn't reappear? and if we use Kilz primer will that help once the mold is cleaned? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Mold can only be present in combination with a moisture and food source. You need to be certain you can eliminate any moisture sources, including condensation. This may require roof or siding repairs, vapor barriers and insulation. With moisture eliminated, the mold can be cleaned up with any number of disinfecting and cleaning agents, including inexpensive bleach. Kilz and a number of other primers seal surfaces and have anti-fungal additives that inhibit growth and recurrance of mold and mildew. It can be very effective if moisture is not present.
Mold/Moisture in Attic
Framing a drop ceiling in living area(not basement o...
asbestos in basement and air quality in house
replacement ceiling tiles
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!