I live in and 86 yr. old home. I recently found mold in our attic and above our drop ceiling tiles in the front part of our living room. We, also, have wood paneling in the living room. We plan on taking out the ceiling and paneling, and putting up drywall. We also planned on making the attic into 2 bedrooms later on. The attic is not insulated and has plaster walls. The roof was put on in the early 90's. We have very little money and are looking for the least expensive way to get rid of the mold and make sure it doesn't reoccur once we put up drywall. How do we clean the mold to make sure it doesn't reappear? and if we use Kilz primer will that help once the mold is cleaned? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
Mold can only be present in combination with a moisture and food source. You need to be certain you can eliminate any moisture sources, including condensation. This may require roof or siding repairs, vapor barriers and insulation. With moisture eliminated, the mold can be cleaned up with any number of disinfecting and cleaning agents, including inexpensive bleach. Kilz and a number of other primers seal surfaces and have anti-fungal additives that inhibit growth and recurrance of mold and mildew. It can be very effective if moisture is not present.
Mold/Moisture in Attic
Framing a drop ceiling in living area(not basement o...
asbestos in basement and air quality in house
replacement ceiling tiles
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!