I have never posted to this site before, but would appreciate any help people would be willing to offer.
Below is an email I sent out regarding a job taking place in my new apartment.
here it is:
Last month I moved into a two-story greystone in Chicago, and I imagine the
building is at least 50 years old. My landlord decided to remove the forced
heat radiators and install central. As you may know this involves taking out
all of the radiators and mainly doing a lot of cutting away of the floors.
What I am concerned about is when they went into my closet, the cut a whole
leading from the basement, through my closet and into the apartment upstairs,
leaving a lot of black dust behind. I am wondering if when they cut through
the floor dividing the two floors, they irritated possible asbestos.
I know nothing of home maintenence and would probably believe most of what the
guys who are doing this would tell me. By the way, the guys who are doing this
don't seem to be the most professional of the lot, as no tarps or protection of
any sort was provided. Today, I asked one of the men if there was asbestos in
the building and he said probably, but from what he could tell he didn't see
any since they have been working. He said, "trust me, I would know." While I
don't doubt that, is he understating the problem, if there is one?
Thank you for reading this far. Any suggestions regarding this would be greatly
appreciated, especially regarding best way to clean the dust up and reduce
particles in the air.
Thank you very much.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects Anyone Can Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 9 "Killer" Ways to Eliminate Weeds
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- Designers Reveal Today's Top 10 Bath Remodeling Trends
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight