I know there has been numerous posts on this topic; but please allow me to ask for msyelf...
Is anyone aware of any safety concerns with gel-fueled fireplaces? This would be safety concerns with respect to both humans and pets (dog and cat)?
Also, I have read some reports that talk about these fireplaces adding excess moisture into the air from the water and oxygen produced via the burning alcohol. Can anyone comment on this? Is this s real concern? If it is a concern, would a simple de-humidifier do the trick?
Burning alcohol fuel is the simple oxidation of an alcohol like CH3OH. You combine that with oxygen and get heat plus one molecule of CO or CO2, and 4 molecules of water. On a mass basis, for every pound of alcohol you burn, you get 64 pounds of water. Wow! Guess you better have ventilation if you burn a lot. OTOH, you probably won't burn too much and water disperses in air very easily. If you start seeing excessive condensation, you can simple assume you have over-done it and either ventilate, or stop burning the gel fuel for a while. Pretty simple.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!