I know there has been numerous posts on this topic; but please allow me to ask for msyelf...
Is anyone aware of any safety concerns with gel-fueled fireplaces? This would be safety concerns with respect to both humans and pets (dog and cat)?
Also, I have read some reports that talk about these fireplaces adding excess moisture into the air from the water and oxygen produced via the burning alcohol. Can anyone comment on this? Is this s real concern? If it is a concern, would a simple de-humidifier do the trick?
Burning alcohol fuel is the simple oxidation of an alcohol like CH3OH. You combine that with oxygen and get heat plus one molecule of CO or CO2, and 4 molecules of water. On a mass basis, for every pound of alcohol you burn, you get 64 pounds of water. Wow! Guess you better have ventilation if you burn a lot. OTOH, you probably won't burn too much and water disperses in air very easily. If you start seeing excessive condensation, you can simple assume you have over-done it and either ventilate, or stop burning the gel fuel for a while. Pretty simple.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes