I have carpeting on my first floor living space (60 year old multi level house)and under it are some tiles and a very large area with tiles missing but mastic still on the cement. I have to get rid of the carpet as the front door is completely level with the driveway which is level with the street so it gets very dirty. That level is half underground but is not the basement and it gets very humid there and is already at 50% with snow outside so will have to be using the dehumidifier soon as it goes to over 70% without the dehumidifier in the spring. I am immune comprimised and 70 years old and will probably get a contractor to do it for me so he would come, take up the carpet and take a sample of the tile/mastic.
Can I use the dehumidifier with the mastic (and probably some loose tiles) exposed or will this put asbestos fibers in the air throughout the house. I know from past experience (had mold remediation in the basement) that it will take a while before they get to take up the tile, etc. I don't want a mold problem ever again so I try to keep the humidity down.
Also, I want to make sure what they use does not seep into the concrete and later on loosen the new tiles or would linoleum be a better choice under the circumstances?
Thanks for any help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!