Two weeks ago, I took out some drywall in my 1950s brick rambler that had mold on about 3' by 3' of the panel. I thought I could get a better look to see how the water came in and how bad the mold was. When I put the hole in the wall, blown-in insulation came pouring out of the wall. I should have researched what type it was but instead I scooped the pile into a few garbage bags and vacuumed the rest. (I had a cheap home depot mask on for all of this) After a few days, I was looking at stuff online and it looked like my insulation was vermiculite. I got it tested and found out that it was positive for a trace of asbestos--the lab said less than 1%.
Does the less than 1% number mean that it wasn't a high concentration of asbestos or is that all it would normally be in vermiculite?
Since I already, regretably, cleaned and vacuumed the area is it worth having some pros come in and pull up the carpets in the house and clean everything?
I didn't do the clean up until a few days after putting the hole in the wall and I am wondering if the AC unit (which was on) could have transferred asbestos dust elsewhere in the house.
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries