I want to make the flooring safe in the basement of the 1953 home I just purchased. The floor is 9x9 tiles glued directly onto the concrete. The tiles are broken in some spots and pealing off in others. I pealed one off and brought it to Home Depot and Lowes. They both said that the tiles are likely vinyl and not made with asbestos because the colors go all the way through. But the glue holding it down is in question. It is not black - it is clear and not very tacky on the tile I pulled up. Lowes thought it could be Asbestos, but Home Depot said that Asbestos glue was always black. Is all Asbestos glue black or was some of it clear?
My goal is just to make the basement safe without spending much money. I could carpet over everything, but the basement isn't very nice, has had water come in in the past, and may be seriously remodeled in the future - all of which make me not want to spend hundreds on carpeting right now. Any thoughts on the safety of removing it myself or sealing it and using scrap carpet for the time being?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes