I want to make the flooring safe in the basement of the 1953 home I just purchased. The floor is 9x9 tiles glued directly onto the concrete. The tiles are broken in some spots and pealing off in others. I pealed one off and brought it to Home Depot and Lowes. They both said that the tiles are likely vinyl and not made with asbestos because the colors go all the way through. But the glue holding it down is in question. It is not black - it is clear and not very tacky on the tile I pulled up. Lowes thought it could be Asbestos, but Home Depot said that Asbestos glue was always black. Is all Asbestos glue black or was some of it clear?
My goal is just to make the basement safe without spending much money. I could carpet over everything, but the basement isn't very nice, has had water come in in the past, and may be seriously remodeled in the future - all of which make me not want to spend hundreds on carpeting right now. Any thoughts on the safety of removing it myself or sealing it and using scrap carpet for the time being?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!