In the middle of a remodel, and I've discovered there really is hardwood under the ugly vinyl in my kitchen. Unfortunately, there are 4 layers of flooring: vinyl, vinyl, asbestos tile, and hardood.
I'm pondering how to proceed. I'm considering professional abatement, but having trouble getting cost estimates (it's only about 100 square feet, and the building is unoccupied), so if anyone has guesses I'm interested in them.
I'm likely to do the work myself to save money and time, if I can work out a safe way to do it. I'm currently considering two options:
1) Take a circular saw to the floor, cutting through all 4 layers, and pick it up in foot-square chunks.
2) Take the floor up in layers: Remove the vinyl, then pry up the asbestos tile trying to keep it intact, then cut up the hardwood (which is basically ruined by the mastic) and remove that.
In either case I would keep the area and air wet, use a mask, and do a wet clean afterwards.
Option 1 obvious will create some dust, but I wonder if the overall exposure is lower than option 2, which is slower and will probably break up more tile, etc, etc.
What do people think? Are there other approaches I should consider?
Painting floor after asbestos tile and mastic removal
asbestos tile removal
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers