I don't even know where to begin asking for help. We have purchased four 40ft shipping containers which we are planning to transform into a home. We have the containers, and we will soon have the welder here to weld them together. We thought it would be a simple matter of welding them together, cutting out interior walls, and finishing it out just like a standard house. Well, standard with modifications dealing with working with steel walls.
The welder's first concern was how we planned to support the frames after removing a lot of the interior walls. These units are set side by side, and the plan was to have as open a living space as possible with the resulting 40 x 32 ft shell. The only interior walls we want will be for the bedrooms and bathrooms. Our plan leaves an open space for kitchen/living/dining room of 32 x 26 ft.
So, my first question is how DO we cut out a majority of the steel walls and keep it structurally strong? Pillars every 20 feet? Extra top rails welded? Can leaving say 6 inches of the walls in place serve as beams to keep the shells from bucking or caving in?
My questions go on and on, but first I have to figure out how to cut out the walls and still maintain the structural integrity.
Any advice, websites, book suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, yes I've watched the clips as well as several that are posted on youtube. But I haven't seen one that addresses my specific question, maybe I just missed it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!