I don't even know where to begin asking for help. We have purchased four 40ft shipping containers which we are planning to transform into a home. We have the containers, and we will soon have the welder here to weld them together. We thought it would be a simple matter of welding them together, cutting out interior walls, and finishing it out just like a standard house. Well, standard with modifications dealing with working with steel walls.
The welder's first concern was how we planned to support the frames after removing a lot of the interior walls. These units are set side by side, and the plan was to have as open a living space as possible with the resulting 40 x 32 ft shell. The only interior walls we want will be for the bedrooms and bathrooms. Our plan leaves an open space for kitchen/living/dining room of 32 x 26 ft.
So, my first question is how DO we cut out a majority of the steel walls and keep it structurally strong? Pillars every 20 feet? Extra top rails welded? Can leaving say 6 inches of the walls in place serve as beams to keep the shells from bucking or caving in?
My questions go on and on, but first I have to figure out how to cut out the walls and still maintain the structural integrity.
Any advice, websites, book suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, yes I've watched the clips as well as several that are posted on youtube. But I haven't seen one that addresses my specific question, maybe I just missed it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!