I don't even know where to begin asking for help. We have purchased four 40ft shipping containers which we are planning to transform into a home. We have the containers, and we will soon have the welder here to weld them together. We thought it would be a simple matter of welding them together, cutting out interior walls, and finishing it out just like a standard house. Well, standard with modifications dealing with working with steel walls.
The welder's first concern was how we planned to support the frames after removing a lot of the interior walls. These units are set side by side, and the plan was to have as open a living space as possible with the resulting 40 x 32 ft shell. The only interior walls we want will be for the bedrooms and bathrooms. Our plan leaves an open space for kitchen/living/dining room of 32 x 26 ft.
So, my first question is how DO we cut out a majority of the steel walls and keep it structurally strong? Pillars every 20 feet? Extra top rails welded? Can leaving say 6 inches of the walls in place serve as beams to keep the shells from bucking or caving in?
My questions go on and on, but first I have to figure out how to cut out the walls and still maintain the structural integrity.
Any advice, websites, book suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, yes I've watched the clips as well as several that are posted on youtube. But I haven't seen one that addresses my specific question, maybe I just missed it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes