I don't even know where to begin asking for help. We have purchased four 40ft shipping containers which we are planning to transform into a home. We have the containers, and we will soon have the welder here to weld them together. We thought it would be a simple matter of welding them together, cutting out interior walls, and finishing it out just like a standard house. Well, standard with modifications dealing with working with steel walls.
The welder's first concern was how we planned to support the frames after removing a lot of the interior walls. These units are set side by side, and the plan was to have as open a living space as possible with the resulting 40 x 32 ft shell. The only interior walls we want will be for the bedrooms and bathrooms. Our plan leaves an open space for kitchen/living/dining room of 32 x 26 ft.
So, my first question is how DO we cut out a majority of the steel walls and keep it structurally strong? Pillars every 20 feet? Extra top rails welded? Can leaving say 6 inches of the walls in place serve as beams to keep the shells from bucking or caving in?
My questions go on and on, but first I have to figure out how to cut out the walls and still maintain the structural integrity.
Any advice, websites, book suggestions are greatly appreciated!!
Thanks, yes I've watched the clips as well as several that are posted on youtube. But I haven't seen one that addresses my specific question, maybe I just missed it?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects