My walls are a vinyl covered drywall and I want to apply drywall mud to change the texture and paint it. A friend did this to a regular paneled wall. Will it work? My husband is afraid it will peel and/or crack because of the vinyl covering. Thanks for all help!
It is not difficult to resurface your vinyl walls. At the seams, tape and mud like regular drywall (I cut about 2" of the vinyl off each side of the seam, leaving the paper backing for mud adhesion). Then prime the walls with Kilz or a primer like that. After priming, if you truly want to smooth out the wall to match the seam, skim the whole wall with a very thin layer of mud. Sand, re-prime and paint. I have tried this in various mobile homes with great success.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!