Our 2500 sq foot 40 year old home was damaged by a six hour fire. The insurance company offered 189,000 to repair the home. It need 5 new rooms plus a new roof and the entire interior is havily heat smoke damaged.
Homes can be bought here for 189,000. My question is what questions should I ask to decide to rebuild using 60 percent of the existing frame or tear it down to the basement and start over having a "new house"
your situation is as bad as mine, but you have one advantage, though it came from a misfortune...you now have the funds to start. You see, if homes cost this amount to but, but they are new, and you can rebuild with the same $$$, I'd rebuild just so that I would have the security in knowing that everything was new and also so that I could have exactly what I wanted. We bought a money pit, but we didn't know it at the time. I have since lost my job and the few repairs I have done myself don't really amount to much, we need a new home, but can't afford to move and we have no funds to remodel or rebuild. Consider yourself in a good position. I do not envy the reason, but I wish I were in your position right now.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers