Our 2500 sq foot 40 year old home was damaged by a six hour fire. The insurance company offered 189,000 to repair the home. It need 5 new rooms plus a new roof and the entire interior is havily heat smoke damaged.
Homes can be bought here for 189,000. My question is what questions should I ask to decide to rebuild using 60 percent of the existing frame or tear it down to the basement and start over having a "new house"
your situation is as bad as mine, but you have one advantage, though it came from a misfortune...you now have the funds to start. You see, if homes cost this amount to but, but they are new, and you can rebuild with the same $$$, I'd rebuild just so that I would have the security in knowing that everything was new and also so that I could have exactly what I wanted. We bought a money pit, but we didn't know it at the time. I have since lost my job and the few repairs I have done myself don't really amount to much, we need a new home, but can't afford to move and we have no funds to remodel or rebuild. Consider yourself in a good position. I do not envy the reason, but I wish I were in your position right now.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!