I recently had a pine cut down in my front yard. It was about 15" in diameter and was cut about 2" above the ground. What is the best treatment I can give the stump to get it to rot out of there quickly? I do not plan to dig or use a tree stump removal machine.
If you really want rot then you should drill a bunch of large holes as deep as you can into it. It will be rotten to below the surrounding ground in about 25 years.
Pine trees are not a deep rooted plant. Their roots go more laterally than vertical. This is the reason that most are uprooted first when high winds arrive. I would trench around the stump, cut the roots and pull it out.
I heard that you can drill a hole in the center, put some charcoal in there and light it. I haven't tried it, but I heard that it works.
Drill holes around the whole stump and let water sit in them constantly. There is a product called Stump Out sold at your local hdwr store for like $5. Let that sit in the watered holes for a few weeks (continue to keep water and the Stump Out in the tree). Then by the end of summer, soak the stump with kerosene or lighter fluid (for a grill) for a few days. After the fuel is absorbed and you light it, the stump will smolder away. No flames to worry about. Just like charcoal.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps