I recently had a pine cut down in my front yard. It was about 15" in diameter and was cut about 2" above the ground. What is the best treatment I can give the stump to get it to rot out of there quickly? I do not plan to dig or use a tree stump removal machine.
If you really want rot then you should drill a bunch of large holes as deep as you can into it. It will be rotten to below the surrounding ground in about 25 years.
Pine trees are not a deep rooted plant. Their roots go more laterally than vertical. This is the reason that most are uprooted first when high winds arrive. I would trench around the stump, cut the roots and pull it out.
I heard that you can drill a hole in the center, put some charcoal in there and light it. I haven't tried it, but I heard that it works.
Drill holes around the whole stump and let water sit in them constantly. There is a product called Stump Out sold at your local hdwr store for like $5. Let that sit in the watered holes for a few weeks (continue to keep water and the Stump Out in the tree). Then by the end of summer, soak the stump with kerosene or lighter fluid (for a grill) for a few days. After the fuel is absorbed and you light it, the stump will smolder away. No flames to worry about. Just like charcoal.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!