I recently had a pine cut down in my front yard. It was about 15" in diameter and was cut about 2" above the ground. What is the best treatment I can give the stump to get it to rot out of there quickly? I do not plan to dig or use a tree stump removal machine.
If you really want rot then you should drill a bunch of large holes as deep as you can into it. It will be rotten to below the surrounding ground in about 25 years.
Pine trees are not a deep rooted plant. Their roots go more laterally than vertical. This is the reason that most are uprooted first when high winds arrive. I would trench around the stump, cut the roots and pull it out.
I heard that you can drill a hole in the center, put some charcoal in there and light it. I haven't tried it, but I heard that it works.
Drill holes around the whole stump and let water sit in them constantly. There is a product called Stump Out sold at your local hdwr store for like $5. Let that sit in the watered holes for a few weeks (continue to keep water and the Stump Out in the tree). Then by the end of summer, soak the stump with kerosene or lighter fluid (for a grill) for a few days. After the fuel is absorbed and you light it, the stump will smolder away. No flames to worry about. Just like charcoal.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!