I recently had a pine cut down in my front yard. It was about 15" in diameter and was cut about 2" above the ground. What is the best treatment I can give the stump to get it to rot out of there quickly? I do not plan to dig or use a tree stump removal machine.
If you really want rot then you should drill a bunch of large holes as deep as you can into it. It will be rotten to below the surrounding ground in about 25 years.
Pine trees are not a deep rooted plant. Their roots go more laterally than vertical. This is the reason that most are uprooted first when high winds arrive. I would trench around the stump, cut the roots and pull it out.
I heard that you can drill a hole in the center, put some charcoal in there and light it. I haven't tried it, but I heard that it works.
Drill holes around the whole stump and let water sit in them constantly. There is a product called Stump Out sold at your local hdwr store for like $5. Let that sit in the watered holes for a few weeks (continue to keep water and the Stump Out in the tree). Then by the end of summer, soak the stump with kerosene or lighter fluid (for a grill) for a few days. After the fuel is absorbed and you light it, the stump will smolder away. No flames to worry about. Just like charcoal.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY