I recently had a pine cut down in my front yard. It was about 15" in diameter and was cut about 2" above the ground. What is the best treatment I can give the stump to get it to rot out of there quickly? I do not plan to dig or use a tree stump removal machine.
If you really want rot then you should drill a bunch of large holes as deep as you can into it. It will be rotten to below the surrounding ground in about 25 years.
Pine trees are not a deep rooted plant. Their roots go more laterally than vertical. This is the reason that most are uprooted first when high winds arrive. I would trench around the stump, cut the roots and pull it out.
I heard that you can drill a hole in the center, put some charcoal in there and light it. I haven't tried it, but I heard that it works.
Drill holes around the whole stump and let water sit in them constantly. There is a product called Stump Out sold at your local hdwr store for like $5. Let that sit in the watered holes for a few weeks (continue to keep water and the Stump Out in the tree). Then by the end of summer, soak the stump with kerosene or lighter fluid (for a grill) for a few days. After the fuel is absorbed and you light it, the stump will smolder away. No flames to worry about. Just like charcoal.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes