We recently moved into a 90 year old home. The heating system consists of a hot water system. The first floor has a total of 5 radiators and the second floor has an additional 5. When we moved in, the valves of two of the radiators in the second floor were closed. When we tried to run them by opening the valves, we discovered only part of the radiators heat up, and that a noise resembling flowing water occurs. We tried to bleed them by opening the relief valves, but we have not been able to get water to come out, even after having the relief valve open for a long time. Any suggestions?
Dear Ledarman, .... Just had a similar problem arise at my next door neighbors 120 year old school house he bought last year! We could only get heat through half of some of the basebord radiators... Solution.... Trapped air that was not escaping from bleeder valves due to but not limited to OLD pipes,sediment oxidation,hard water,etc.We ended up reducing system pressure and cleaning/replacing some air bleeding valves as some were corroded badly. Start from point of beginning raditor in that zone until you reach the last radiator in water flow directon. You should get A little watter discharge from a bled bleeder...Hope this helps
Best way to heat an addition?
having radiator problems, could someone help, PLEASE!
Haze in air when radiators come on
Oil Furnance - Cycles on/off too much???
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes