We recently moved into a 90 year old home. The heating system consists of a hot water system. The first floor has a total of 5 radiators and the second floor has an additional 5. When we moved in, the valves of two of the radiators in the second floor were closed. When we tried to run them by opening the valves, we discovered only part of the radiators heat up, and that a noise resembling flowing water occurs. We tried to bleed them by opening the relief valves, but we have not been able to get water to come out, even after having the relief valve open for a long time. Any suggestions?
Dear Ledarman, .... Just had a similar problem arise at my next door neighbors 120 year old school house he bought last year! We could only get heat through half of some of the basebord radiators... Solution.... Trapped air that was not escaping from bleeder valves due to but not limited to OLD pipes,sediment oxidation,hard water,etc.We ended up reducing system pressure and cleaning/replacing some air bleeding valves as some were corroded badly. Start from point of beginning raditor in that zone until you reach the last radiator in water flow directon. You should get A little watter discharge from a bled bleeder...Hope this helps
Best way to heat an addition?
having radiator problems, could someone help, PLEASE!
Haze in air when radiators come on
Oil Furnance - Cycles on/off too much???
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!