My parent have an electric heat pump furnace and when the heat kicks on an awful smell occurs for a while. It does not do it while the heat pump is blowing just when the heat is blowing. My father has called the furnace manufacture and they know nothing so he asked me to go to the internet. Does anyone have any idea it has been doing it for two or three years now he furnace is only five years old if that. No one can find that cause.Thank goodness it has been a warm winter in Tennessee this year. It really ranks!! Any ideas?
Your problem maybe that there is dirt on the heating element(s). When it gets to cold to use the compressor for heat, the unit uses electric heating elements as a back-up heat source. Maybe something has died, like a mouse and is in the unit. Hope this helps.
More than likely it's from built-up dust and dirt in the furnace or the ductwork getting hot.. my system does the same thing when it hasn't been used in a while. The smell usually goes away after a few minutes and after a few times it doesn't happen anymore as things get blown out or burned away. Unless it smells like, someone said, a somethign dead and it doesn't go away, then I would have it checked further too.
is a closet necessary for an attic furnace with spra...
Old expandable foam shrank in walls now all the wall...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!