We are considering converting from LP gas to Natural Gas for heating and water heaters. One heating and cooling specialist has told us that we will need to replace the gas pipes with new ones, while another has told us that we can use the same ones. Is there any particular reason one would need to replace pipes for this conversion?
Changing of the pipes may be an issue of "codes" in your particular town. The contractor should know what has to be done. If you have copper lines, they probably need replaced with black pipe. Also, all appliances that currently fire with Propane will need the orifice's changed out to Natural gas. Natural gas fires at a lower pressure than propane so this has to be done. Conversion kit's are availiable for most major appliances.
Thank you Hollywood. We already have black pipe and my real problem is that one contractor has said that we would need to replace the pipe and another has said that we would not need to. Both of them are reputable contractors and I just cannot figure what is going on. We were aware of the need to change the orifices, but we have also been told that the water heaters that are fitted for LP will need to be changed entirely. Does this sound normal? Thanks again.
The existing black pipe in the house is OK according to the National Fuel Gas code. The water tank has to be changed out. The manufaturer does not provide conversion kits for the tank. A new tank should only be about $275-375 installed.......Look at it this way,...you'll get a warrenty with it. I usually go with a 10 year tank because you cant beat the price.
new energy efficient portable space heating
Need help with changing warm morning Heater lp to gas
Oil Fired Boiler Cost?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!