We are considering converting from LP gas to Natural Gas for heating and water heaters. One heating and cooling specialist has told us that we will need to replace the gas pipes with new ones, while another has told us that we can use the same ones. Is there any particular reason one would need to replace pipes for this conversion?
Changing of the pipes may be an issue of "codes" in your particular town. The contractor should know what has to be done. If you have copper lines, they probably need replaced with black pipe. Also, all appliances that currently fire with Propane will need the orifice's changed out to Natural gas. Natural gas fires at a lower pressure than propane so this has to be done. Conversion kit's are availiable for most major appliances.
Thank you Hollywood. We already have black pipe and my real problem is that one contractor has said that we would need to replace the pipe and another has said that we would not need to. Both of them are reputable contractors and I just cannot figure what is going on. We were aware of the need to change the orifices, but we have also been told that the water heaters that are fitted for LP will need to be changed entirely. Does this sound normal? Thanks again.
The existing black pipe in the house is OK according to the National Fuel Gas code. The water tank has to be changed out. The manufaturer does not provide conversion kits for the tank. A new tank should only be about $275-375 installed.......Look at it this way,...you'll get a warrenty with it. I usually go with a 10 year tank because you cant beat the price.
new energy efficient portable space heating
Need help with changing warm morning Heater lp to gas
Oil Fired Boiler Cost?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- How to Refinish a Dresser
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY