I am looking a putting an Air Conditioning System into a building, and I am wondering what size of air conditioner I need to do the job. The installer that I have talked to has said that 1 1/2 ton unit would suffice. My building is 78 feet by 22 1/2 feet with 12 foot ceilings. The building is made of brick primarily, it is a two story building, with a basement. The location is in Southern Wisconsin, where the hottest we see is 100 degrees, maybe in August. Temperatures are typically reach a high between 85 and 95, during the hottest days of the summer. The lows are usually around 70-85 degrees at night. Humidity being an issue during July and August. My goal is to be able to maintain 75 -78 degrees in the building. The unit would be only for the first floor. The only windows are on the west side of the building, running about 18 feet of the 22 1/2 feet width of the building. Keeping in mind that I know nothing about air conditioning. Is a ton and a half airconditioner enough, over-sized or just about right. How hard is this unit going to have to work?
A rough estimate of tonage needed is 5 ton. This is based on a 1840.0 sq' building with 12' cielings. This is fore the entire building. If cooling the first floor, I would need demensions on that floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!