I am looking a putting an Air Conditioning System into a building, and I am wondering what size of air conditioner I need to do the job. The installer that I have talked to has said that 1 1/2 ton unit would suffice. My building is 78 feet by 22 1/2 feet with 12 foot ceilings. The building is made of brick primarily, it is a two story building, with a basement. The location is in Southern Wisconsin, where the hottest we see is 100 degrees, maybe in August. Temperatures are typically reach a high between 85 and 95, during the hottest days of the summer. The lows are usually around 70-85 degrees at night. Humidity being an issue during July and August. My goal is to be able to maintain 75 -78 degrees in the building. The unit would be only for the first floor. The only windows are on the west side of the building, running about 18 feet of the 22 1/2 feet width of the building. Keeping in mind that I know nothing about air conditioning. Is a ton and a half airconditioner enough, over-sized or just about right. How hard is this unit going to have to work?
A rough estimate of tonage needed is 5 ton. This is based on a 1840.0 sq' building with 12' cielings. This is fore the entire building. If cooling the first floor, I would need demensions on that floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight