We are building a new home and unfortunately we have to use oil as a heating source.
Where can I find info about the cleanest and
most efficient boilers on the market?
There are a lot of heating systems on the market, each with it's own strengths and weaknesses. If I'm right in assumine you don't have access to NG, you can use electricity (likely quite expensive, but there are options), wood, wood pellets, heat pumps, solar, propane, and others. You need to look for whatever is best for you. I have a friend who used a recirculating heat pump with geothermal heating and cooling on an old farmhouse and it worked quite well. There are new technologies for solar energy including solar roofing panels that look like top-quality roofing. As well, someone I work with has a combination oil and electricity boiler system. During off-peak hours (11pm to 7am) he gets electricity for a fraction of the day rate (but pays a premium during the day) and he uses oil at other times.
I currently have oil heat in the home I just purchased and the furnace is only 3 years old, so it would have been a waste to replace it. With NG prices rising as they have, we may see oil becoming much more competative with NG, especially considering that fuel oil has more heating potential pre litre than 1 cubic meter of NG. While it would have paid to switch over to a gas furnace 3 or more years ago, the savings just aren't worth it for me right now, though I would get additional work space after the tank was removed ;-)
Finally, it would be helpful if you could tell us where you live and why you feel you are limited to oil.
I live in New England, so I think solar power is out of the question, during the winter. Plus the units I found are horribly expensive and it is simply not in the budget.
While I know that htere are som other choices finding some one who actually knows about them and will install them is a whole nother story.
I don't have gas and in my area 70% of the homes are heated with oil. I would love to explore other options that would allow me to generate some of my own electricity and use alternative fuels. If you know of any sites, mfgs. or dealers who could offer product/pricing that would be great.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 10 Welcoming Front Door Paint Colors
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Simple Projects for Beginning Woodworkers