Central air unit in attic
I'd want a lot more info.
Did he give you a price? (Putting vents throughout a house that has none has got to be expensive.)
What type of heat do you have now?
I'd get a second and a third professional opinion.
I didn't move into the place until after the systems were installed, so I can't really compare "before" and "after" attic temperatures. I can say that the attic didn't get extremely hot in the summer with the units running in the attic. The exhaust fan didn't kick on too often that I can recall. The attic was a little warmer in the winter, which I attributed to the heating systems and the insulation. Then again, the walls of this house had NO insulation in them and the interior surfaces were plaster, so I felt the cold wind!
The landlord told me it cost about $10,000 for both systems to be installed plus the blown-in insulation (all done by 1 company). The landlord did this to help the house sell...I moved in during July 1999 and they sold the house in September 2000. I hope this information is of use to you. Jim D/Heathsville, VA
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!