Ingenius idea, fivelbbass! We'd love to make this bed for our son's room. Do you have more detailed plans or photos you could send us? Looking for details on how you secured the cable to the bed. I saw the post with the photo of someone else's "rig", but it didn't look as tidy or discreet as yours. Email: smarsher @ gmail.com. Thanks!
This project is GREAT! You must be very creative. I was wondering if I could hang my teen's bed from all four corners and not use the 2x4 braces. What do you think?
I think you will need to beef up the strength of the system that hangs over the rafters in your attic or ceiling. The weight of the bed needs to be spread evenly across the rafters/joists in the attic. You might consider using a larger diameter and longer length steel pipe or even a fence post to loop the steel cables over.
We followed your general plans and made two floating platform beds for our two six year olds. We couldn't be happier. They have so much more space and now we don't have to worry about them fighting about who gets the top bunk!
We decided to box out the beds for two purposes...one for added security/safety. We thought the kids would be scared if it was more open. Secondly, it hid the wire clamps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps