Ingenius idea, fivelbbass! We'd love to make this bed for our son's room. Do you have more detailed plans or photos you could send us? Looking for details on how you secured the cable to the bed. I saw the post with the photo of someone else's "rig", but it didn't look as tidy or discreet as yours. Email: smarsher @ gmail.com. Thanks!
This project is GREAT! You must be very creative. I was wondering if I could hang my teen's bed from all four corners and not use the 2x4 braces. What do you think?
I think you will need to beef up the strength of the system that hangs over the rafters in your attic or ceiling. The weight of the bed needs to be spread evenly across the rafters/joists in the attic. You might consider using a larger diameter and longer length steel pipe or even a fence post to loop the steel cables over.
We followed your general plans and made two floating platform beds for our two six year olds. We couldn't be happier. They have so much more space and now we don't have to worry about them fighting about who gets the top bunk!
We decided to box out the beds for two purposes...one for added security/safety. We thought the kids would be scared if it was more open. Secondly, it hid the wire clamps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!