Ingenius idea, fivelbbass! We'd love to make this bed for our son's room. Do you have more detailed plans or photos you could send us? Looking for details on how you secured the cable to the bed. I saw the post with the photo of someone else's "rig", but it didn't look as tidy or discreet as yours. Email: smarsher @ gmail.com. Thanks!
This project is GREAT! You must be very creative. I was wondering if I could hang my teen's bed from all four corners and not use the 2x4 braces. What do you think?
I think you will need to beef up the strength of the system that hangs over the rafters in your attic or ceiling. The weight of the bed needs to be spread evenly across the rafters/joists in the attic. You might consider using a larger diameter and longer length steel pipe or even a fence post to loop the steel cables over.
We followed your general plans and made two floating platform beds for our two six year olds. We couldn't be happier. They have so much more space and now we don't have to worry about them fighting about who gets the top bunk!
We decided to box out the beds for two purposes...one for added security/safety. We thought the kids would be scared if it was more open. Secondly, it hid the wire clamps!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Rakes Every Homeowner Should Know
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 13 Terror-ific Yards All Decked Out for Halloween
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY