I have a 1300 sq ft 42 year old house and recently purchased three very efficient window air conditioners with digital temp readouts on them. One is 12000 btus and the other two are 6000 btus each. The reason I bought three is to better distribute the air among the house and I try to keep the house at 76 degrees when I am in need of cooling. I cannot install central air right now because I have a hydronic heating system. Anyhow the larger unit cools the kitchen, living room and dining room but does not run long when it is on, about 5 minutes max. I know air conditioners are more efficient when they run longer. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me with this problem? Thanks!
Many things can cause an A/c to short cycle. Check that there are no obstructions near the air outlet. If cold air is being redirected back to the A/C it thinks room is cold and shuts off. Also,if the room is too small the same will happen. Try using a floor fan to move the cold air out of the room. If the outside air temp is lower than 68F then the evaperator could frost up. If A/C has a frost sensor on it, it would shut down also. Air filter can be dirty. Condenser coil could be clogged. Thermostat could be bad.
I do not have information regarding your room air conditioners, however, you can install central air if you have hydronic heating. The unit is called an air handler and it is typically installed in the attic with registers installed in the ceiling. The condensor is outside the house the same as in a central air configuration.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!