I have a 1300 sq ft 42 year old house and recently purchased three very efficient window air conditioners with digital temp readouts on them. One is 12000 btus and the other two are 6000 btus each. The reason I bought three is to better distribute the air among the house and I try to keep the house at 76 degrees when I am in need of cooling. I cannot install central air right now because I have a hydronic heating system. Anyhow the larger unit cools the kitchen, living room and dining room but does not run long when it is on, about 5 minutes max. I know air conditioners are more efficient when they run longer. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me with this problem? Thanks!
Many things can cause an A/c to short cycle. Check that there are no obstructions near the air outlet. If cold air is being redirected back to the A/C it thinks room is cold and shuts off. Also,if the room is too small the same will happen. Try using a floor fan to move the cold air out of the room. If the outside air temp is lower than 68F then the evaperator could frost up. If A/C has a frost sensor on it, it would shut down also. Air filter can be dirty. Condenser coil could be clogged. Thermostat could be bad.
I do not have information regarding your room air conditioners, however, you can install central air if you have hydronic heating. The unit is called an air handler and it is typically installed in the attic with registers installed in the ceiling. The condensor is outside the house the same as in a central air configuration.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers