I have a 1300 sq ft 42 year old house and recently purchased three very efficient window air conditioners with digital temp readouts on them. One is 12000 btus and the other two are 6000 btus each. The reason I bought three is to better distribute the air among the house and I try to keep the house at 76 degrees when I am in need of cooling. I cannot install central air right now because I have a hydronic heating system. Anyhow the larger unit cools the kitchen, living room and dining room but does not run long when it is on, about 5 minutes max. I know air conditioners are more efficient when they run longer. Does anyone have any suggestions to help me with this problem? Thanks!
Many things can cause an A/c to short cycle. Check that there are no obstructions near the air outlet. If cold air is being redirected back to the A/C it thinks room is cold and shuts off. Also,if the room is too small the same will happen. Try using a floor fan to move the cold air out of the room. If the outside air temp is lower than 68F then the evaperator could frost up. If A/C has a frost sensor on it, it would shut down also. Air filter can be dirty. Condenser coil could be clogged. Thermostat could be bad.
I do not have information regarding your room air conditioners, however, you can install central air if you have hydronic heating. The unit is called an air handler and it is typically installed in the attic with registers installed in the ceiling. The condensor is outside the house the same as in a central air configuration.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes