My neighbor has lots of vines that are growing into my yard and onto the side of my house where they are beginning to get under the eaves of the house. I have tried cutting them back but that has only encouraged more vigoruous growth. I have considered using a brush killer, but I'm a bit concerned because I would like to eventually plant a herb garden and I am afraid the brush killers might poison the soil or damage plant growth at another location. Are there any alternatives or less toxic chemicals I can use to tackle the problem? I have managed to get rid of as many of the surface runners as possible, but I'm not sure the effort was worth it . HELP!!
have you tried round-up? I have found this to be a great product. When we moved into our new house, there were poison ivy and poison oak vines all over our hedges, and we have pretty much eliminated all of them using round-up. You can still plant your plants too, 2-3 days after spraying the area, I even planted some of my perennials a day after treating a nearby area and they were fine.
Round-up is the best solution to use. It kills only what it touches and in non selective. Do be careful when you spray, if there is any over spray it will kill these plants. You will not notice die back until about after 4-5 days. Let the product remain on the plant for 1-2 days prior to removing it.
I hope the vines aren't Kudzu. I've lived in a Southern state where this stuff runs rampant. I saw it destroy a barn. There really isn't much that can kill Kudzu. If that's what you've got...go to your local university agricultural extention. There's a specialized herbicide that will kill only Kudzu. But, here's the bad news, some Kudzu vines are becomming resistant. Good luck.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING