My neighbor has lots of vines that are growing into my yard and onto the side of my house where they are beginning to get under the eaves of the house. I have tried cutting them back but that has only encouraged more vigoruous growth. I have considered using a brush killer, but I'm a bit concerned because I would like to eventually plant a herb garden and I am afraid the brush killers might poison the soil or damage plant growth at another location. Are there any alternatives or less toxic chemicals I can use to tackle the problem? I have managed to get rid of as many of the surface runners as possible, but I'm not sure the effort was worth it . HELP!!
have you tried round-up? I have found this to be a great product. When we moved into our new house, there were poison ivy and poison oak vines all over our hedges, and we have pretty much eliminated all of them using round-up. You can still plant your plants too, 2-3 days after spraying the area, I even planted some of my perennials a day after treating a nearby area and they were fine.
Round-up is the best solution to use. It kills only what it touches and in non selective. Do be careful when you spray, if there is any over spray it will kill these plants. You will not notice die back until about after 4-5 days. Let the product remain on the plant for 1-2 days prior to removing it.
I hope the vines aren't Kudzu. I've lived in a Southern state where this stuff runs rampant. I saw it destroy a barn. There really isn't much that can kill Kudzu. If that's what you've got...go to your local university agricultural extention. There's a specialized herbicide that will kill only Kudzu. But, here's the bad news, some Kudzu vines are becomming resistant. Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!