I purchased my home a year ago. The boiler/furnace won't keep 20 pounds of pressure. I have to fill the system to 20 each day after it drops to 10. We recently had to replace the pressure relief valve (30 psi) and had to add water to the system and purge for air. Is it possible we didn't get all of the air out? Or is it possible I have a leak somewhere inside the boiler? The system has an expansion tank. I fear that the system is losing water each day due to a leak, but I am not a pro, so I don't know.
Thanks for the reply. I fill it every day or every other day back to 20 psi. It has usually dropped down to 10 psi. Would you consider that a leak? Also, I noticed that the insulation inside the cover is wet, but there is no water on the floor, could it be evaporating?
Yes we checked the pressure relief valve. In fact, that is what we had to change. In changing the valve, we lost a lot of water from the system, as well as allowing a lot of air to get in. We refilled the system and purged as much air as we could, but the system drops from 20 to 10 everyday without fail, but it stops at 10. It stays at 20 for quite a while after adding more water and closing the hand filler valve on the water line.
I took off the cover surrounding the boiler. There is an inlet on the back where you could connect another pipe if needed. This inlet has a plug. The weld around the inlet is deteriorating due to corrosion and age. This is where the leak is and it looks as though it has been leaking for some time. My neighbor has the exact same boiler unit in his house that he replaced with a new Beckett last year. His old unit is in excellent shape and we will be swapping out the whole furnace soon. He is a licensed HVAC tech. Thought you might like to know the outcome. Thanks for the advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects