I purchased my home a year ago. The boiler/furnace won't keep 20 pounds of pressure. I have to fill the system to 20 each day after it drops to 10. We recently had to replace the pressure relief valve (30 psi) and had to add water to the system and purge for air. Is it possible we didn't get all of the air out? Or is it possible I have a leak somewhere inside the boiler? The system has an expansion tank. I fear that the system is losing water each day due to a leak, but I am not a pro, so I don't know.
Thanks for the reply. I fill it every day or every other day back to 20 psi. It has usually dropped down to 10 psi. Would you consider that a leak? Also, I noticed that the insulation inside the cover is wet, but there is no water on the floor, could it be evaporating?
Yes we checked the pressure relief valve. In fact, that is what we had to change. In changing the valve, we lost a lot of water from the system, as well as allowing a lot of air to get in. We refilled the system and purged as much air as we could, but the system drops from 20 to 10 everyday without fail, but it stops at 10. It stays at 20 for quite a while after adding more water and closing the hand filler valve on the water line.
I took off the cover surrounding the boiler. There is an inlet on the back where you could connect another pipe if needed. This inlet has a plug. The weld around the inlet is deteriorating due to corrosion and age. This is where the leak is and it looks as though it has been leaking for some time. My neighbor has the exact same boiler unit in his house that he replaced with a new Beckett last year. His old unit is in excellent shape and we will be swapping out the whole furnace soon. He is a licensed HVAC tech. Thought you might like to know the outcome. Thanks for the advice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!