I am having terrible trouble with noise in our main venting duct for our gas furnace and hot water service. I was in the basement swearing at it tonight and during one of its quiet moments I noticed that I am hearing a whistling noise coming down the vent! It was wind! It is windy outside and it sounds as if it is coming down the vent. We often feel a breeze in the house but I never attributed it to a problem with the vent. It is possible that during these cold times that cold wind is whistling down the vent causing it to contract. It sounds like we have an international ping pong game going on in our house all the time. Any ideas?
If you can place your hand on the part of the duct that is making the noise, it should be a fairly simple matter to make the duct more "firm" in that area so it won't flex and make noise.
The problem is that the area that I think if making the noise is in a wall cavity. They have placed the vent right next to a metal return duct and I am sure they are touching. I have a call into the contractor to see if he will fix it. I am being less than pleasant about the whole thing.
Just a suggestion: start out "pleasant". You can always get unpleasant later if you need to. (Catch more flies with honey.)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes