I am having terrible trouble with noise in our main venting duct for our gas furnace and hot water service. I was in the basement swearing at it tonight and during one of its quiet moments I noticed that I am hearing a whistling noise coming down the vent! It was wind! It is windy outside and it sounds as if it is coming down the vent. We often feel a breeze in the house but I never attributed it to a problem with the vent. It is possible that during these cold times that cold wind is whistling down the vent causing it to contract. It sounds like we have an international ping pong game going on in our house all the time. Any ideas?
If you can place your hand on the part of the duct that is making the noise, it should be a fairly simple matter to make the duct more "firm" in that area so it won't flex and make noise.
The problem is that the area that I think if making the noise is in a wall cavity. They have placed the vent right next to a metal return duct and I am sure they are touching. I have a call into the contractor to see if he will fix it. I am being less than pleasant about the whole thing.
Just a suggestion: start out "pleasant". You can always get unpleasant later if you need to. (Catch more flies with honey.)
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight