I am having terrible trouble with noise in our main venting duct for our gas furnace and hot water service. I was in the basement swearing at it tonight and during one of its quiet moments I noticed that I am hearing a whistling noise coming down the vent! It was wind! It is windy outside and it sounds as if it is coming down the vent. We often feel a breeze in the house but I never attributed it to a problem with the vent. It is possible that during these cold times that cold wind is whistling down the vent causing it to contract. It sounds like we have an international ping pong game going on in our house all the time. Any ideas?
If you can place your hand on the part of the duct that is making the noise, it should be a fairly simple matter to make the duct more "firm" in that area so it won't flex and make noise.
The problem is that the area that I think if making the noise is in a wall cavity. They have placed the vent right next to a metal return duct and I am sure they are touching. I have a call into the contractor to see if he will fix it. I am being less than pleasant about the whole thing.
Just a suggestion: start out "pleasant". You can always get unpleasant later if you need to. (Catch more flies with honey.)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love