I am having terrible trouble with noise in our main venting duct for our gas furnace and hot water service. I was in the basement swearing at it tonight and during one of its quiet moments I noticed that I am hearing a whistling noise coming down the vent! It was wind! It is windy outside and it sounds as if it is coming down the vent. We often feel a breeze in the house but I never attributed it to a problem with the vent. It is possible that during these cold times that cold wind is whistling down the vent causing it to contract. It sounds like we have an international ping pong game going on in our house all the time. Any ideas?
If you can place your hand on the part of the duct that is making the noise, it should be a fairly simple matter to make the duct more "firm" in that area so it won't flex and make noise.
The problem is that the area that I think if making the noise is in a wall cavity. They have placed the vent right next to a metal return duct and I am sure they are touching. I have a call into the contractor to see if he will fix it. I am being less than pleasant about the whole thing.
Just a suggestion: start out "pleasant". You can always get unpleasant later if you need to. (Catch more flies with honey.)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects