I am having terrible trouble with noise in our main venting duct for our gas furnace and hot water service. I was in the basement swearing at it tonight and during one of its quiet moments I noticed that I am hearing a whistling noise coming down the vent! It was wind! It is windy outside and it sounds as if it is coming down the vent. We often feel a breeze in the house but I never attributed it to a problem with the vent. It is possible that during these cold times that cold wind is whistling down the vent causing it to contract. It sounds like we have an international ping pong game going on in our house all the time. Any ideas?
If you can place your hand on the part of the duct that is making the noise, it should be a fairly simple matter to make the duct more "firm" in that area so it won't flex and make noise.
The problem is that the area that I think if making the noise is in a wall cavity. They have placed the vent right next to a metal return duct and I am sure they are touching. I have a call into the contractor to see if he will fix it. I am being less than pleasant about the whole thing.
Just a suggestion: start out "pleasant". You can always get unpleasant later if you need to. (Catch more flies with honey.)
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!