Cold master bedroom
I have an 18 foot ceiling adjacent to my master bedroom and all rooms on the main floor have 9 ft. ceilings. My problem is that the temperature in the MB is downright chilly. The furnace in located directly in the center of the house (basement). I built with 2x6 exterior walls and all exterior/interior walls have polyurethane foam sealant coated 1 inch thick. I have r-50 in the attic and still my house seems cold.
I do have manual dampers on the trunk lines that I guess I could close.
I do have a fireplace on the opposite side of the house, do I need a fireplace in my MB?
You may want to check the duct work that runs to the master bedroom. In my case, the duct runs outside the home, under an overhang that was created when the master bedroom was expanded. Thus, when the air reaches the master bedroom, it's colder than the air that reaches other rooms. I've received numerous suggestions that might help you: (1) adjust the registers in every room of your house so that the only fully open register is in your master bedroom; (2) install/adjust dampers in your ducts to increase the air flow to your master bedroom; (3) install a fan in the duct that reaches your master bedroom to increase air flow to that room; (4) re-zone your house so that the master bedroom -- which may have especially high heating needs -- has a separate set of controls and a separate heater; (5) investigate the possibility of relocating the duct work.
I've tried the first solution, with no luck... but that's not to say it won't work for you. Since I have no dampers or fans in my duct work, the other solutions are quite expensive and I'm still considering what to do, but I hope this helps.
In the meantime, Vornado makes an excellent (and safe) space heater.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates