Cold master bedroom
I have an 18 foot ceiling adjacent to my master bedroom and all rooms on the main floor have 9 ft. ceilings. My problem is that the temperature in the MB is downright chilly. The furnace in located directly in the center of the house (basement). I built with 2x6 exterior walls and all exterior/interior walls have polyurethane foam sealant coated 1 inch thick. I have r-50 in the attic and still my house seems cold.
I do have manual dampers on the trunk lines that I guess I could close.
I do have a fireplace on the opposite side of the house, do I need a fireplace in my MB?
You may want to check the duct work that runs to the master bedroom. In my case, the duct runs outside the home, under an overhang that was created when the master bedroom was expanded. Thus, when the air reaches the master bedroom, it's colder than the air that reaches other rooms. I've received numerous suggestions that might help you: (1) adjust the registers in every room of your house so that the only fully open register is in your master bedroom; (2) install/adjust dampers in your ducts to increase the air flow to your master bedroom; (3) install a fan in the duct that reaches your master bedroom to increase air flow to that room; (4) re-zone your house so that the master bedroom -- which may have especially high heating needs -- has a separate set of controls and a separate heater; (5) investigate the possibility of relocating the duct work.
I've tried the first solution, with no luck... but that's not to say it won't work for you. Since I have no dampers or fans in my duct work, the other solutions are quite expensive and I'm still considering what to do, but I hope this helps.
In the meantime, Vornado makes an excellent (and safe) space heater.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs