Cold master bedroom
I have an 18 foot ceiling adjacent to my master bedroom and all rooms on the main floor have 9 ft. ceilings. My problem is that the temperature in the MB is downright chilly. The furnace in located directly in the center of the house (basement). I built with 2x6 exterior walls and all exterior/interior walls have polyurethane foam sealant coated 1 inch thick. I have r-50 in the attic and still my house seems cold.
I do have manual dampers on the trunk lines that I guess I could close.
I do have a fireplace on the opposite side of the house, do I need a fireplace in my MB?
You may want to check the duct work that runs to the master bedroom. In my case, the duct runs outside the home, under an overhang that was created when the master bedroom was expanded. Thus, when the air reaches the master bedroom, it's colder than the air that reaches other rooms. I've received numerous suggestions that might help you: (1) adjust the registers in every room of your house so that the only fully open register is in your master bedroom; (2) install/adjust dampers in your ducts to increase the air flow to your master bedroom; (3) install a fan in the duct that reaches your master bedroom to increase air flow to that room; (4) re-zone your house so that the master bedroom -- which may have especially high heating needs -- has a separate set of controls and a separate heater; (5) investigate the possibility of relocating the duct work.
I've tried the first solution, with no luck... but that's not to say it won't work for you. Since I have no dampers or fans in my duct work, the other solutions are quite expensive and I'm still considering what to do, but I hope this helps.
In the meantime, Vornado makes an excellent (and safe) space heater.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects