Cold master bedroom
I have an 18 foot ceiling adjacent to my master bedroom and all rooms on the main floor have 9 ft. ceilings. My problem is that the temperature in the MB is downright chilly. The furnace in located directly in the center of the house (basement). I built with 2x6 exterior walls and all exterior/interior walls have polyurethane foam sealant coated 1 inch thick. I have r-50 in the attic and still my house seems cold.
I do have manual dampers on the trunk lines that I guess I could close.
I do have a fireplace on the opposite side of the house, do I need a fireplace in my MB?
You may want to check the duct work that runs to the master bedroom. In my case, the duct runs outside the home, under an overhang that was created when the master bedroom was expanded. Thus, when the air reaches the master bedroom, it's colder than the air that reaches other rooms. I've received numerous suggestions that might help you: (1) adjust the registers in every room of your house so that the only fully open register is in your master bedroom; (2) install/adjust dampers in your ducts to increase the air flow to your master bedroom; (3) install a fan in the duct that reaches your master bedroom to increase air flow to that room; (4) re-zone your house so that the master bedroom -- which may have especially high heating needs -- has a separate set of controls and a separate heater; (5) investigate the possibility of relocating the duct work.
I've tried the first solution, with no luck... but that's not to say it won't work for you. Since I have no dampers or fans in my duct work, the other solutions are quite expensive and I'm still considering what to do, but I hope this helps.
In the meantime, Vornado makes an excellent (and safe) space heater.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 11 Cool DIY Sheds with Designs You Can Steal
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers