I have a fully working chimney which was thoroughly inspected and cleaned before I had a gas log system installed. The vent remains open slightly all the time. After 2 months of use, I am noticing a lot of black soot staining the outside (top) of the brick fireplace surround. Why? I wasn't told that this would happen. Does the system need to be moved back more? Should I install a glass door on the front? Help!
Which "vent" are you referring to? If it's your fireplace vent, by code (at least here in Mass.)I believe that you are supposed to either remove it altogether or have it welded open to ensure proper airflow & prevent gas from leaking into the room. If this vent is only partially open, that may be your problem.
gas fireplace logs and odor
Can I use gas logs as a primary heat source?
Need Help, ITS BELOW 0 and my new lennox wont work...
Natural Gas Logs, Do they need an air mixer?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs