I have a fully working chimney which was thoroughly inspected and cleaned before I had a gas log system installed. The vent remains open slightly all the time. After 2 months of use, I am noticing a lot of black soot staining the outside (top) of the brick fireplace surround. Why? I wasn't told that this would happen. Does the system need to be moved back more? Should I install a glass door on the front? Help!
Which "vent" are you referring to? If it's your fireplace vent, by code (at least here in Mass.)I believe that you are supposed to either remove it altogether or have it welded open to ensure proper airflow & prevent gas from leaking into the room. If this vent is only partially open, that may be your problem.
gas fireplace logs and odor
Can I use gas logs as a primary heat source?
Need Help, ITS BELOW 0 and my new lennox wont work...
Natural Gas Logs, Do they need an air mixer?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps