I have a fully working chimney which was thoroughly inspected and cleaned before I had a gas log system installed. The vent remains open slightly all the time. After 2 months of use, I am noticing a lot of black soot staining the outside (top) of the brick fireplace surround. Why? I wasn't told that this would happen. Does the system need to be moved back more? Should I install a glass door on the front? Help!
Which "vent" are you referring to? If it's your fireplace vent, by code (at least here in Mass.)I believe that you are supposed to either remove it altogether or have it welded open to ensure proper airflow & prevent gas from leaking into the room. If this vent is only partially open, that may be your problem.
gas fireplace logs and odor
Can I use gas logs as a primary heat source?
Need Help, ITS BELOW 0 and my new lennox wont work...
Natural Gas Logs, Do they need an air mixer?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes