I have a fully working chimney which was thoroughly inspected and cleaned before I had a gas log system installed. The vent remains open slightly all the time. After 2 months of use, I am noticing a lot of black soot staining the outside (top) of the brick fireplace surround. Why? I wasn't told that this would happen. Does the system need to be moved back more? Should I install a glass door on the front? Help!
Which "vent" are you referring to? If it's your fireplace vent, by code (at least here in Mass.)I believe that you are supposed to either remove it altogether or have it welded open to ensure proper airflow & prevent gas from leaking into the room. If this vent is only partially open, that may be your problem.
gas fireplace logs and odor
Can I use gas logs as a primary heat source?
Need Help, ITS BELOW 0 and my new lennox wont work...
Natural Gas Logs, Do they need an air mixer?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools