We live in a split-level zero lot line home. We just had the waste pipe coming from our upstairs bathroom repaired. It runs down through the wall between our garage and downstairs family room. The pipe had cracked when the house "settled" and the stud that it passes through put pressure on it. The pipe is fixed, but the drywall is missing on the garage side of the wall where the plumber accessed the pipe. The new section of pipe sticks out a bit ****her than the old pipe, so drywall will not fit flush over the opening. To complicate things, the section of wall the waste pipe runs down through is also our cold air return (originating from a vent on the baseboard of the family room side). The air return is approx. 32" wide with a stud down the center and the waste pipe running through one half. Right now I can see through the air return vent to the garage. I have plastic sheeting covering the opening temporarily. My questions are: Can I cover the garage-side opening with plywood instead of drywall? What about insulation? The wall is insulated except for this section since it is the cold air return. My concerns are keeping the cold garage air (it was 5 below zero last night) away from the pipe so it won't "freeze", and also sealing the cold air return effectively. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
No you can't use plywood to cover the hole as it is not allowed by code.You will most likely have to hire a carpenter to bump out the area around the pipe,insulate and finish as needed.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight