I have two questions regarding the installation of the April-Aire model 600 humidifier. I underststand that it can be mounted on either the supply or return plenum. 1)Is on location prefered over the other in regards to efficiency?? 2)Is hot, cold, soft or or hard water more desireble for this unit ??
Thanks for any responses
If you install on the supply side there is a possibility of the force of the air pushing the water off the humidifier pad, causing leaks. Regardless of where you install, it shouls always be fed by hot unsoftened water. Hot water means more humidity given off so your system will not run as long. THe chemicals in a water softener will clog up the solonoid valve in no time.
Best of luck
Best of luck
hkestenholz & tinmantom, thank you both for your reply. You recomended using unsoftened hot water, however the only hot water I have available is softened.. So, now do you suggest softened hot or hard cold water??
looking forward to your replies...
I know of several homes that have ran softened water in their humidifiers with no problems. I don't know of too many chemicals that a residential softening system introduces into domestic potable water other than trace ammounts of sodium chloride. I can see untreated water clogging 24v solenoids for humidifiers.
There appears to be differing opinions on whether to use hard or soft water.. Maybe there is no definitive answer...
Conditioned water will crap out a solenoid. I have two in my truck that I ripped out just today and had to rerun the water line.
After installing the humidifier on the return plenum (the only side w/adequate space), I will now have only 4" between the control & humidifier instead of the 6" specified in the instructions. Will this space be adequate or should I install the control overhead in the return air duct just above the plenum?????
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes