Tankless Water Heater or Not???
[This message has been edited by LDoyle (edited May 07, 2003).]
40 gallon 40,000 btu heater runs about 4 hours a day to keep the water hot, about 160,000 BTU's a day.
Tankless 100,000 BTU heater runs about 20 minutes a day, 33,000 BTU's used.
Thats around 127,000 BTU's a day not being used.
I have a propane powervent heater that I metered the vent motor to get the amount of time the heater runs per day.
I base the other one on taking 2 10 minute showers a day. There is a little more for when washing hands, but can't amount to more than a few minutes of use. The trick is to have the heater as close as possible to the faucets with these units. For my kitchen I am going with a small electric tankless unit since it is in the middle of the house and at least 30 feet or more from each heater. WE will be replacing the tank heater soon with another tankless unit for that section of the house.
If we were using natural gas, it wouldnt matter what we used, but since we are using propane, and its a limited supply, we want to conserve as much as possible, over $1000 to fill is pretty damn expensive.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Experts Pick 12 Never-Fail Colors
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 8 Paint Colors to Help Sell Your House
- Furniture Arranging 101
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Brilliant Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- Bob Vila's 10 "Must Do" Projects for July
- 15 Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 10 “Zero Dollar” Storage Hacks to Try Today
- AVOID These 5 Popular Home Improvements
- 11 Top Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 14 Ways to Make Good Use of Your Old Stuff
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes