Tankless Water Heater or Not???
[This message has been edited by LDoyle (edited May 07, 2003).]
40 gallon 40,000 btu heater runs about 4 hours a day to keep the water hot, about 160,000 BTU's a day.
Tankless 100,000 BTU heater runs about 20 minutes a day, 33,000 BTU's used.
Thats around 127,000 BTU's a day not being used.
I have a propane powervent heater that I metered the vent motor to get the amount of time the heater runs per day.
I base the other one on taking 2 10 minute showers a day. There is a little more for when washing hands, but can't amount to more than a few minutes of use. The trick is to have the heater as close as possible to the faucets with these units. For my kitchen I am going with a small electric tankless unit since it is in the middle of the house and at least 30 feet or more from each heater. WE will be replacing the tank heater soon with another tankless unit for that section of the house.
If we were using natural gas, it wouldnt matter what we used, but since we are using propane, and its a limited supply, we want to conserve as much as possible, over $1000 to fill is pretty damn expensive.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs