Why is the requirement for a certain distance from the unit (e.g. 10 feet) for return air access so close? I would think that it should be in a separate room with an auto-closing doorway between.
The return air system is a vital part of your overall heating/cooling system. If you place a closed door betweem the return air registers and the rest of the house, there would be only limited air flow and the whole heating/cooling system would suffer. Would create hot/cool areas where you do not want any. It's all a trade-off but better to have good air circulation and more even heat/cool.
Actually, what I meant was how can the return air be allowed to be so close to the unit, especially on a low, gravity fed, or standard efficiency unit where the negative pressure from the return air can draw combustion gasses back down out of the flue into the furnace closet? Wouldn't it take a door and some greater distance than that to keep this from happening?
Thank you for your input. You seem very knowledgeable about HVAC. I am also currently looking for someone who is knowledgable about HVAC and may have a large number of photos on HVAC defects/code problems on both new residential and commercial. Do you know of anyone like that?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!