Why is the requirement for a certain distance from the unit (e.g. 10 feet) for return air access so close? I would think that it should be in a separate room with an auto-closing doorway between.
The return air system is a vital part of your overall heating/cooling system. If you place a closed door betweem the return air registers and the rest of the house, there would be only limited air flow and the whole heating/cooling system would suffer. Would create hot/cool areas where you do not want any. It's all a trade-off but better to have good air circulation and more even heat/cool.
Actually, what I meant was how can the return air be allowed to be so close to the unit, especially on a low, gravity fed, or standard efficiency unit where the negative pressure from the return air can draw combustion gasses back down out of the flue into the furnace closet? Wouldn't it take a door and some greater distance than that to keep this from happening?
Thank you for your input. You seem very knowledgeable about HVAC. I am also currently looking for someone who is knowledgable about HVAC and may have a large number of photos on HVAC defects/code problems on both new residential and commercial. Do you know of anyone like that?
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING