I recently purchased a 2,0000 sq ft ranch style home, which is currently, setup and connected to central a/c and heat. I also have two 260sq ft rooms, which were built, above my attached garage and were not attached to the a/c, heat and existing duct work due to, and I am assuming, the long length of the house. These two rooms are currently cooled and heated by two window air conditioner units and a 25 year old furnace. I plan replacing the furnace and the two window air conditioner units very soon. I currently use one of the rooms as my computer room/home theatre room. The other room is currently used as storage for the time being. My question is, would I be better off purchasing a portable air conditioner unit for the rooms or would it make sense to setup a 1 ¬Ω ton central ac unit for the two rooms or should I just keep the noisy inefficient window air conditioner units? I have already received three different quotes on the furnace and central a/c replacement for these two rooms. However, I have noticed that the portable AC solution is a lot cheeper than a small central a/c unit installantion is, but is it more energy efficient in the long run or just as efficient as a little central a/c unit or a window air conditioning unit? Also, I assume it is a good idea to replace the old furnace in this area as well? Also, the two rooms have multiple vent return units in them. I am just interested in what other people have done in similar situations and the pros and cons etc.
Thanks in advance..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!