I recently purchased a 2,0000 sq ft ranch style home, which is currently, setup and connected to central a/c and heat. I also have two 260sq ft rooms, which were built, above my attached garage and were not attached to the a/c, heat and existing duct work due to, and I am assuming, the long length of the house. These two rooms are currently cooled and heated by two window air conditioner units and a 25 year old furnace. I plan replacing the furnace and the two window air conditioner units very soon. I currently use one of the rooms as my computer room/home theatre room. The other room is currently used as storage for the time being. My question is, would I be better off purchasing a portable air conditioner unit for the rooms or would it make sense to setup a 1 ¬Ω ton central ac unit for the two rooms or should I just keep the noisy inefficient window air conditioner units? I have already received three different quotes on the furnace and central a/c replacement for these two rooms. However, I have noticed that the portable AC solution is a lot cheeper than a small central a/c unit installantion is, but is it more energy efficient in the long run or just as efficient as a little central a/c unit or a window air conditioning unit? Also, I assume it is a good idea to replace the old furnace in this area as well? Also, the two rooms have multiple vent return units in them. I am just interested in what other people have done in similar situations and the pros and cons etc.
Thanks in advance..
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes