I recently purchased a 2,0000 sq ft ranch style home, which is currently, setup and connected to central a/c and heat. I also have two 260sq ft rooms, which were built, above my attached garage and were not attached to the a/c, heat and existing duct work due to, and I am assuming, the long length of the house. These two rooms are currently cooled and heated by two window air conditioner units and a 25 year old furnace. I plan replacing the furnace and the two window air conditioner units very soon. I currently use one of the rooms as my computer room/home theatre room. The other room is currently used as storage for the time being. My question is, would I be better off purchasing a portable air conditioner unit for the rooms or would it make sense to setup a 1 ¬Ω ton central ac unit for the two rooms or should I just keep the noisy inefficient window air conditioner units? I have already received three different quotes on the furnace and central a/c replacement for these two rooms. However, I have noticed that the portable AC solution is a lot cheeper than a small central a/c unit installantion is, but is it more energy efficient in the long run or just as efficient as a little central a/c unit or a window air conditioning unit? Also, I assume it is a good idea to replace the old furnace in this area as well? Also, the two rooms have multiple vent return units in them. I am just interested in what other people have done in similar situations and the pros and cons etc.
Thanks in advance..
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide