I am in the process of finding a contractor to replace an existing ThermaTru door in my 7 year old home. The door has water damage (rotting) at the base of the hinge on both the door & the framing, as well as evidence of water leaking under the door as seen from our basement on the wood flooring under the door opening/ tile and a slight warping of the threshhold. Thermatru has replaced the door but "slab" only (not prehung). I spoke with a contractor who told me that I should return the door to Thermatru to have them make a frame for the door so that it is sealed properly & that the main reason for a leaking door is the threshold. We have a deck just off these doors (there are 2 doors with the same damage) and have removed the deck boards and caulked like crazy around the threshold/ flashing at the base of the door. The insulation strip at the bottom of the door seemed to be sealing fine. Although caulking did help somewhat, we are continuing to have evidence of water entering through the bottom of the door. There are no water puddles, merely wetness in the wood framing at the base of the door and darkened tile grout from water.
Is it in fact true that the only way to take care of this problem is with a "prehung" door unit? Is it unreasonable to have the framing built on-site and expect that there will be no leaks? And, is in fact the threshold the main reason for leakage or could this be related to poor door installation 7 years prior (flashing, etc.)?
I look forward to any assistance you can give me on this issue. Thanks in advance!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!