I am in the process of finding a contractor to replace an existing ThermaTru door in my 7 year old home. The door has water damage (rotting) at the base of the hinge on both the door & the framing, as well as evidence of water leaking under the door as seen from our basement on the wood flooring under the door opening/ tile and a slight warping of the threshhold. Thermatru has replaced the door but "slab" only (not prehung). I spoke with a contractor who told me that I should return the door to Thermatru to have them make a frame for the door so that it is sealed properly & that the main reason for a leaking door is the threshold. We have a deck just off these doors (there are 2 doors with the same damage) and have removed the deck boards and caulked like crazy around the threshold/ flashing at the base of the door. The insulation strip at the bottom of the door seemed to be sealing fine. Although caulking did help somewhat, we are continuing to have evidence of water entering through the bottom of the door. There are no water puddles, merely wetness in the wood framing at the base of the door and darkened tile grout from water.
Is it in fact true that the only way to take care of this problem is with a "prehung" door unit? Is it unreasonable to have the framing built on-site and expect that there will be no leaks? And, is in fact the threshold the main reason for leakage or could this be related to poor door installation 7 years prior (flashing, etc.)?
I look forward to any assistance you can give me on this issue. Thanks in advance!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight