I am in the process of finding a contractor to replace an existing ThermaTru door in my 7 year old home. The door has water damage (rotting) at the base of the hinge on both the door & the framing, as well as evidence of water leaking under the door as seen from our basement on the wood flooring under the door opening/ tile and a slight warping of the threshhold. Thermatru has replaced the door but "slab" only (not prehung). I spoke with a contractor who told me that I should return the door to Thermatru to have them make a frame for the door so that it is sealed properly & that the main reason for a leaking door is the threshold. We have a deck just off these doors (there are 2 doors with the same damage) and have removed the deck boards and caulked like crazy around the threshold/ flashing at the base of the door. The insulation strip at the bottom of the door seemed to be sealing fine. Although caulking did help somewhat, we are continuing to have evidence of water entering through the bottom of the door. There are no water puddles, merely wetness in the wood framing at the base of the door and darkened tile grout from water.
Is it in fact true that the only way to take care of this problem is with a "prehung" door unit? Is it unreasonable to have the framing built on-site and expect that there will be no leaks? And, is in fact the threshold the main reason for leakage or could this be related to poor door installation 7 years prior (flashing, etc.)?
I look forward to any assistance you can give me on this issue. Thanks in advance!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love