I have a trilevel with an electric forced air furnace in the lower level. Lots of heat comes to the main floor, but virtually none to the other levels. Even with the registers closed in the rest of the house virtually no hot air comes upstairs. My furnace maintenence person told me that there is no way to diagnose or fix this problem without tearing the walls apart. Does anyone have any more helpful, less expensive ideas?
Installing dampers might help. The registers alone, don't function as a damper because they are on the end of a run. With dampers you will be able to adjust the air flow right at the source, the plenum or supply trunk.
You need to find a contractor who is experienced in TAB work. That is Testing Adjusting and Balancing. They can take air readings at different places to find out where the air is going. They can look at your equipment to see if it is sufficient to do what you require. There are many avenues to air flow related problems. There are no quick fixes. Start to find a contractor by looking here. Good luck.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes