I'm new here and have a question about replacing the drain pan. My water heater is in the attic (I live on the second floor) and the current plastic drain pan is broken. I would like to replace it with a metal/aluminum drain pan but don't know how. Please show me how or direct me to a site. Also, is this something I could do by myself. I'm not very handy and this is my first home.
Thanks for your help.
It would not be that easy, your tank would have to be emptied and the supply lines disconnected. Is it gas or electric? How bad is it cracked? Try repairing the one you have first. Use some epoxy or gorilla glue to repair.
There is also a fitting that must be attached to the pan to accept the discharge pipe. The pipe has to be "Ran" somewhere (if it's not already) should the water heater ever leak. Maybe you can get away with just draining it down all the way, and if the supply lines have some give in them, the old can be slipped out and the new in. If this sounds to hard or out of your reach, get a plumber's estimate for the job.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!