My duplexe is heated by hot water radiators from one oil furnace on one thermostat. I plan to split the upstairs heating from the downstairs. Since the radiant heating is a one loop system, I plan to cut and cap the pipes to the upstairs and remove the radiators to install electric baseboards. I will maintain the downstairs radiant heating. My questions are: 1. Will cutting and capping the upstairs piping unbalance the system, if so how can I re-balance it? 2. Will there be any water running up the capped pipes that could freeze?
Thank you for any reply.
Why are you going to make the people upstairs pay for expensive electric heat? You can easilly split the 2nd floor and have a 2 zone system, give them a thermostat, maybe one that can only go up to 70 , and charge them a little more rent. I am sure it would be cheaper for them, for you to do it this way.
I want to split the heating into a 2 zone system but the plumbers I've asked say it is not possible with my single loop system. Major re-piping would be involved to turn it into a 2 zone system. Converting to electric baseboards for the upstairs was the simplest solution. Any thoughts on my original questions or on splitting into a 2 zone system?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
which a/c & furnace to get ?
vasco hydronic heating
Does anyone know anything about Radiant Cooling?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs