My duplexe is heated by hot water radiators from one oil furnace on one thermostat. I plan to split the upstairs heating from the downstairs. Since the radiant heating is a one loop system, I plan to cut and cap the pipes to the upstairs and remove the radiators to install electric baseboards. I will maintain the downstairs radiant heating. My questions are: 1. Will cutting and capping the upstairs piping unbalance the system, if so how can I re-balance it? 2. Will there be any water running up the capped pipes that could freeze?
Thank you for any reply.
Why are you going to make the people upstairs pay for expensive electric heat? You can easilly split the 2nd floor and have a 2 zone system, give them a thermostat, maybe one that can only go up to 70 , and charge them a little more rent. I am sure it would be cheaper for them, for you to do it this way.
I want to split the heating into a 2 zone system but the plumbers I've asked say it is not possible with my single loop system. Major re-piping would be involved to turn it into a 2 zone system. Converting to electric baseboards for the upstairs was the simplest solution. Any thoughts on my original questions or on splitting into a 2 zone system?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
which a/c & furnace to get ?
vasco hydronic heating
Does anyone know anything about Radiant Cooling?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!