My duplexe is heated by hot water radiators from one oil furnace on one thermostat. I plan to split the upstairs heating from the downstairs. Since the radiant heating is a one loop system, I plan to cut and cap the pipes to the upstairs and remove the radiators to install electric baseboards. I will maintain the downstairs radiant heating. My questions are: 1. Will cutting and capping the upstairs piping unbalance the system, if so how can I re-balance it? 2. Will there be any water running up the capped pipes that could freeze?
Thank you for any reply.
Why are you going to make the people upstairs pay for expensive electric heat? You can easilly split the 2nd floor and have a 2 zone system, give them a thermostat, maybe one that can only go up to 70 , and charge them a little more rent. I am sure it would be cheaper for them, for you to do it this way.
I want to split the heating into a 2 zone system but the plumbers I've asked say it is not possible with my single loop system. Major re-piping would be involved to turn it into a 2 zone system. Converting to electric baseboards for the upstairs was the simplest solution. Any thoughts on my original questions or on splitting into a 2 zone system?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
which a/c & furnace to get ?
vasco hydronic heating
Does anyone know anything about Radiant Cooling?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Stay Bite-Free with 8 High-Tech Bug Zappers
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Perk Up Your Garden with 10 New Perennials
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- Why You Should Reconsider Aboveground Pools