My duplexe is heated by hot water radiators from one oil furnace on one thermostat. I plan to split the upstairs heating from the downstairs. Since the radiant heating is a one loop system, I plan to cut and cap the pipes to the upstairs and remove the radiators to install electric baseboards. I will maintain the downstairs radiant heating. My questions are: 1. Will cutting and capping the upstairs piping unbalance the system, if so how can I re-balance it? 2. Will there be any water running up the capped pipes that could freeze?
Thank you for any reply.
Why are you going to make the people upstairs pay for expensive electric heat? You can easilly split the 2nd floor and have a 2 zone system, give them a thermostat, maybe one that can only go up to 70 , and charge them a little more rent. I am sure it would be cheaper for them, for you to do it this way.
I want to split the heating into a 2 zone system but the plumbers I've asked say it is not possible with my single loop system. Major re-piping would be involved to turn it into a 2 zone system. Converting to electric baseboards for the upstairs was the simplest solution. Any thoughts on my original questions or on splitting into a 2 zone system?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
which a/c & furnace to get ?
vasco hydronic heating
Does anyone know anything about Radiant Cooling?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Junk Mail
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- How to Make Concrete Letters
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps