My duplexe is heated by hot water radiators from one oil furnace on one thermostat. I plan to split the upstairs heating from the downstairs. Since the radiant heating is a one loop system, I plan to cut and cap the pipes to the upstairs and remove the radiators to install electric baseboards. I will maintain the downstairs radiant heating. My questions are: 1. Will cutting and capping the upstairs piping unbalance the system, if so how can I re-balance it? 2. Will there be any water running up the capped pipes that could freeze?
Thank you for any reply.
Why are you going to make the people upstairs pay for expensive electric heat? You can easilly split the 2nd floor and have a 2 zone system, give them a thermostat, maybe one that can only go up to 70 , and charge them a little more rent. I am sure it would be cheaper for them, for you to do it this way.
I want to split the heating into a 2 zone system but the plumbers I've asked say it is not possible with my single loop system. Major re-piping would be involved to turn it into a 2 zone system. Converting to electric baseboards for the upstairs was the simplest solution. Any thoughts on my original questions or on splitting into a 2 zone system?
Hydronic Heat, Indirect Water Heater, No Hot Water
which a/c & furnace to get ?
vasco hydronic heating
Does anyone know anything about Radiant Cooling?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees