Hi. We have a dilemma and seek your careful opinions.
Our home has a 25-year-old steam boiler. It's working fine; our house has been very comfortable all winter. However, recently a pipe running to one of our radiators sprung a leak, and when we had someone from a reputable heating company out to take a look, we were advised that we should really really get a new boiler, as a "preemptive strike."
If we get the boiler, the company will throw in repair of the pipe (a job otherwise in the $300-400 range), AND they will tackle one other plumbing issue in the house, a leaking lavatory sink drain pipe (another $300+ repair). Cost for the boiler and the "extras" would be $3,100.
If we were flush, we'd probably go for it, no question. However, we just signed a contract for a total roof tear-off/replacement (egads) and money is very tight.
Our options: spend $600 (or more?) on the two repairs, which must happen immediately -- and wait on the boiler.
OR -- dig deep into our pockets (possibly to the point of discomfort) and spend $3,100, to get the new boiler and handle these emergency repairs.
Thoughts? We're concerned that if we wait on the boiler, it'll die anyway ... and we'll waste $600+ dollars. Is the boiler likely to last indefinitely? (maintenance on it by previous owners seems to be pretty poor, if that matters, and when we bought the home our inspector did indicate the boiler was "aged")
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY