Hi. We have a dilemma and seek your careful opinions.
Our home has a 25-year-old steam boiler. It's working fine; our house has been very comfortable all winter. However, recently a pipe running to one of our radiators sprung a leak, and when we had someone from a reputable heating company out to take a look, we were advised that we should really really get a new boiler, as a "preemptive strike."
If we get the boiler, the company will throw in repair of the pipe (a job otherwise in the $300-400 range), AND they will tackle one other plumbing issue in the house, a leaking lavatory sink drain pipe (another $300+ repair). Cost for the boiler and the "extras" would be $3,100.
If we were flush, we'd probably go for it, no question. However, we just signed a contract for a total roof tear-off/replacement (egads) and money is very tight.
Our options: spend $600 (or more?) on the two repairs, which must happen immediately -- and wait on the boiler.
OR -- dig deep into our pockets (possibly to the point of discomfort) and spend $3,100, to get the new boiler and handle these emergency repairs.
Thoughts? We're concerned that if we wait on the boiler, it'll die anyway ... and we'll waste $600+ dollars. Is the boiler likely to last indefinitely? (maintenance on it by previous owners seems to be pretty poor, if that matters, and when we bought the home our inspector did indicate the boiler was "aged")
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers