Hi. We have a dilemma and seek your careful opinions.
Our home has a 25-year-old steam boiler. It's working fine; our house has been very comfortable all winter. However, recently a pipe running to one of our radiators sprung a leak, and when we had someone from a reputable heating company out to take a look, we were advised that we should really really get a new boiler, as a "preemptive strike."
If we get the boiler, the company will throw in repair of the pipe (a job otherwise in the $300-400 range), AND they will tackle one other plumbing issue in the house, a leaking lavatory sink drain pipe (another $300+ repair). Cost for the boiler and the "extras" would be $3,100.
If we were flush, we'd probably go for it, no question. However, we just signed a contract for a total roof tear-off/replacement (egads) and money is very tight.
Our options: spend $600 (or more?) on the two repairs, which must happen immediately -- and wait on the boiler.
OR -- dig deep into our pockets (possibly to the point of discomfort) and spend $3,100, to get the new boiler and handle these emergency repairs.
Thoughts? We're concerned that if we wait on the boiler, it'll die anyway ... and we'll waste $600+ dollars. Is the boiler likely to last indefinitely? (maintenance on it by previous owners seems to be pretty poor, if that matters, and when we bought the home our inspector did indicate the boiler was "aged")
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight