Hi. We have a dilemma and seek your careful opinions.
Our home has a 25-year-old steam boiler. It's working fine; our house has been very comfortable all winter. However, recently a pipe running to one of our radiators sprung a leak, and when we had someone from a reputable heating company out to take a look, we were advised that we should really really get a new boiler, as a "preemptive strike."
If we get the boiler, the company will throw in repair of the pipe (a job otherwise in the $300-400 range), AND they will tackle one other plumbing issue in the house, a leaking lavatory sink drain pipe (another $300+ repair). Cost for the boiler and the "extras" would be $3,100.
If we were flush, we'd probably go for it, no question. However, we just signed a contract for a total roof tear-off/replacement (egads) and money is very tight.
Our options: spend $600 (or more?) on the two repairs, which must happen immediately -- and wait on the boiler.
OR -- dig deep into our pockets (possibly to the point of discomfort) and spend $3,100, to get the new boiler and handle these emergency repairs.
Thoughts? We're concerned that if we wait on the boiler, it'll die anyway ... and we'll waste $600+ dollars. Is the boiler likely to last indefinitely? (maintenance on it by previous owners seems to be pretty poor, if that matters, and when we bought the home our inspector did indicate the boiler was "aged")
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs