We are going to build a new home. It will have 1,345 ft on the first floor and 530 ft on the second. Do we need radiant floor heat on both levels. My husband was told it would heat the whole house if you have it only on the first level. Also, are there two different kinds of radiant floor heat? One electric and one with water?
Can someone explain it to me? I am confused as to what we need to get. Thank you so much! I really appreciate any help you can give!
Most of the information provided above is right on target, and applies mostly to hydronic (hot-water tubing) radiant floor heating systems. To respond to your question about the "2 kinds of radiant heat", the other kind (electric floor heating) is mostly installed as a supplemental source of heat or comfort in 1 or 2 rooms in the house. The number 1 selling room for electric floor heating is the bathroom, then the kitchen and perhaps the basement. Electric floor heating has a high cost per square foot but a very low start-up cost. As a result, it is a great solution for adding comfort to a couple of rooms in your home, but often not the right choice for whole-house heating. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!