We are going to build a new home. It will have 1,345 ft on the first floor and 530 ft on the second. Do we need radiant floor heat on both levels. My husband was told it would heat the whole house if you have it only on the first level. Also, are there two different kinds of radiant floor heat? One electric and one with water?
Can someone explain it to me? I am confused as to what we need to get. Thank you so much! I really appreciate any help you can give!
Most of the information provided above is right on target, and applies mostly to hydronic (hot-water tubing) radiant floor heating systems. To respond to your question about the "2 kinds of radiant heat", the other kind (electric floor heating) is mostly installed as a supplemental source of heat or comfort in 1 or 2 rooms in the house. The number 1 selling room for electric floor heating is the bathroom, then the kitchen and perhaps the basement. Electric floor heating has a high cost per square foot but a very low start-up cost. As a result, it is a great solution for adding comfort to a couple of rooms in your home, but often not the right choice for whole-house heating. Hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight