I live in Phoenix, Arizona and we are all ready into the triple digit temps. I have a North facing 2 story home with a 3 car garage.
Upstairs I have 3 bedrooms, 2 of which are over the garage(one is my oldest son(3)) and the other is a guest room. The 3rd bedroom is my younger son(1) and his room is over the house.
The issue is that the HVAC balancing is not considered when these houses are built, they are built based on speed and quantity, not quality. The two bedrooms that are over the garage are much much hotter than the bedroom that is over the house which causes an issue in the summer. To keep my older son cool or at least comfortable I have to keep the AC low which in turn causes my younger sons room to be extremely cold. I was looking into garage ventilation options that are quick, easy and affordable and the guy was talking about attic ventilation because he feels that is where most of the heat is coming from. His argument sounded good but I always come back to the fact that the two bedrooms over the garage are much hotter so I think it is a garage issue. I am looking at running a couple of fans inside the garage during the day and early evening and then taking out the upper air vent(10" by 13") and installing a fan in there that blows out. My hope is to keep the air mixing and moving in the garage and hopefully cool off the garage and in turn cool off the bedrooms over the garage.
I also did some searching on the internet and found some solar powered attic fans that I might consider as well. I feel that I will still need to do something for the garage even if I put in the attic fan as anything I can do will help.
Has anyone faced anything similar or have any suggestions for me?
We have a 3 years old home which is 1 1/2 stories. Two of the three bedrooms upstairs are over a 2 car garage. Those two bedrooms are the ONLY areas in the house which are NOT cooled well. Every other room in the house is cooled well by the HVAC. I have felt the air moving from the vents in the two rooms above the garage and it feels to be the same amount flowing from the vents in other areas of the house. The other night I opened the garage and it was very warm and that is when I started thinking that this could be the problem. Anyone ever find a solution?
Insulating a garage: Does it make a difference?
Old chimney open to both attic and cralwspace
attic insulating - blankets or more blown insulation?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight