I live in Phoenix, Arizona and we are all ready into the triple digit temps. I have a North facing 2 story home with a 3 car garage.
Upstairs I have 3 bedrooms, 2 of which are over the garage(one is my oldest son(3)) and the other is a guest room. The 3rd bedroom is my younger son(1) and his room is over the house.
The issue is that the HVAC balancing is not considered when these houses are built, they are built based on speed and quantity, not quality. The two bedrooms that are over the garage are much much hotter than the bedroom that is over the house which causes an issue in the summer. To keep my older son cool or at least comfortable I have to keep the AC low which in turn causes my younger sons room to be extremely cold. I was looking into garage ventilation options that are quick, easy and affordable and the guy was talking about attic ventilation because he feels that is where most of the heat is coming from. His argument sounded good but I always come back to the fact that the two bedrooms over the garage are much hotter so I think it is a garage issue. I am looking at running a couple of fans inside the garage during the day and early evening and then taking out the upper air vent(10" by 13") and installing a fan in there that blows out. My hope is to keep the air mixing and moving in the garage and hopefully cool off the garage and in turn cool off the bedrooms over the garage.
I also did some searching on the internet and found some solar powered attic fans that I might consider as well. I feel that I will still need to do something for the garage even if I put in the attic fan as anything I can do will help.
Has anyone faced anything similar or have any suggestions for me?
We have a 3 years old home which is 1 1/2 stories. Two of the three bedrooms upstairs are over a 2 car garage. Those two bedrooms are the ONLY areas in the house which are NOT cooled well. Every other room in the house is cooled well by the HVAC. I have felt the air moving from the vents in the two rooms above the garage and it feels to be the same amount flowing from the vents in other areas of the house. The other night I opened the garage and it was very warm and that is when I started thinking that this could be the problem. Anyone ever find a solution?
Insulating a garage: Does it make a difference?
Old chimney open to both attic and cralwspace
attic insulating - blankets or more blown insulation?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps