I am 90% sure a wall I want to take down is not load bearing but want to make sure with you guys to get the other 10%! The wall is 9 feet long (currently has an archway opening in the middle) and seperates my front foyer from my living room (this is a 2-story 1930 house). The wall is parrell with the 1st floor joists (perpendicular to the main carrying beam) and the wall actually just sits on the 1st floor subfloor. The wall sits on the 3/4 inch subfloor and is actually placed in-between two joists (there is no joist directly under the wall).
I can't see how the joists are positioned on the 2nd floor in the spot that the wall would be underneath but in another section of the house the 2nd floor joists are in the same location as the 1st floors (parrell to this particular wall)-so i would assume the 2nd floor joists are parrell to the wall as well. No wall exists above this wall on the 2nd floor (it is just the middle of a bedroom).
Everything I have read says this is not a load bearing wall. What do you experts and DIYers think? If it is not load bearing I can just knock down the entire wall and just re-plaster the cieling and walls to get a smooth, nice transition right? I don't have to worry about any headers or anything? Thanks for the help.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!