I am 90% sure a wall I want to take down is not load bearing but want to make sure with you guys to get the other 10%! The wall is 9 feet long (currently has an archway opening in the middle) and seperates my front foyer from my living room (this is a 2-story 1930 house). The wall is parrell with the 1st floor joists (perpendicular to the main carrying beam) and the wall actually just sits on the 1st floor subfloor. The wall sits on the 3/4 inch subfloor and is actually placed in-between two joists (there is no joist directly under the wall).
I can't see how the joists are positioned on the 2nd floor in the spot that the wall would be underneath but in another section of the house the 2nd floor joists are in the same location as the 1st floors (parrell to this particular wall)-so i would assume the 2nd floor joists are parrell to the wall as well. No wall exists above this wall on the 2nd floor (it is just the middle of a bedroom).
Everything I have read says this is not a load bearing wall. What do you experts and DIYers think? If it is not load bearing I can just knock down the entire wall and just re-plaster the cieling and walls to get a smooth, nice transition right? I don't have to worry about any headers or anything? Thanks for the help.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers