We have pretty much decided to go with a Goodman A/C unit we are probably only going to be in our house for another 2 years so to purchase a better system as we have been quoted, ie Lennox, York, Rheem etc seems kind of silly when Goodman seems to have a good warranty and it can be transferred over to a new owner, others can't which may not be as good a selling point and as I have read here the unit is only as good as the installation.
Our confusion now is with whether to replace everything or just the A/C, I have had 7 people out now with one more to go (I am a little over the top when going to spend this amount of money) and had 2 quoting on the Goodman, however one of them is saying we should replace everything and instead of going with a 3.5 ton which we have now we should replace it with a 3.5 ton 42,000 10 seer unit and also replace our furnace and go from a 75,000 btu around 75% efficient (current system is a Heil and is around 14 years old) to a 115,000 btu 80% efficient, he says that replacing the furnace will make all the difference in airflow along with the bigger system and said a 10 seer would be fine as we won't be here long enough to see the savings, price for all of this is $4000 (for the Goodman).
The other man originally said he didn't see the need to replace the furnace as it was in good shape and it wouldn't make that much of a difference, he also said going with the bigger A/C would mean the house would cool faster but it wouldn't run enough to take out the humidity. He gave us a price of $2450 for a Goodman 3 ton unit, 14 seer replacing everything involved with the a/c coil, condensing pump etc, just not the furnace. he said to add a furnace would be about another $1500 so around the same as the other guy although a better deal as we get the better seer system. He also said that if we had to replace the furnace down the road it wouldn't be that big a deal as all the work is in the coils and plenum above which would be done with the A/C replacement, where as the other guy said you are best to do it now or you will pay twice the price down the road to replace just the furnace.
So we are now a little confused with whether to replace the furnace or not, I am kind of leaning towards just the A/C like the first guy said and sticking with the Goodman as the company seems pretty reputable they are BBB members and offer there own 5 year warranty on parts and labour, but would like to see if anyone has any advice on the whole to replace furnace or not and to go lower or higher seer, we have only been in this area a couple of years so only know of one person who has replaced their a/C and furnace and they said the furnace didn't make too much of a difference and they weren't happy at all with their installers so we aren't going there.
So any advice would be greatly appreciated so I can stop having nightmares about A/C and just get it done :)
a/c & furnace in closet -- needs to be vented?
Honeywell thermostat t8600D
Smaller Room Heating/Cooling question
Closing off rooms to save on air conditioning cost -
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them