We have had a problem with our AC all summer. We bought our house last year and used the central air all summer with no problems. When I went to turn it on at the beginning of this summer, I turned the thermostat to Auto, but the AC wouldn't go on. The unit outside went on, but nothing was blowing through the house. My dad wiggled a few wires and it kicked on. It got cold again a few days later, so I turned the unit off.
When I went to turn it on again, we had the same problem. The unit outside was on, but I couldn't hear the fan blowing and nothing was coming through the house.
We gave up and shut it off for the summer because we couldn't afford to have someone come and fix it. The summer hasn't been too hot, so it wasn't really a concern until today when the humidity was unbearable.
My husband and I took a trip to the basement again to check it out to see if we could figure it out ourselves. The unit outside was still kicking on. We found a "switch" for the blower that said "push on or pull for auto." When we pushed the "button" in, the blower worked and the cold air came through the house.
The only problem is that it only works for on and not auto, so the air doesn't shut off when it gets to the right temperature. I tried changing the switch on the thermostat from fan to auto and back, but it still stayed on constantly.
I have a few questions,
1. Do you know what the problem might be? Is there a sensor that may be broken?
2. If we leave it on, will we blow the motor?
3. If we leave it on constantly, will it harm the unit outside?
The unit we have is a Thermo-Pride Oil Fired Furnace and the brand name on the actual "switch" that I refered to above is Honeywell.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 9 Things You Never Thought to Paint—But Should
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Storage Where You Least Expected It
- 9 Best Lighting Picks for Your Bedroom
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- 10 Alternatives to a Traditional Home Office