We have had a problem with our AC all summer. We bought our house last year and used the central air all summer with no problems. When I went to turn it on at the beginning of this summer, I turned the thermostat to Auto, but the AC wouldn't go on. The unit outside went on, but nothing was blowing through the house. My dad wiggled a few wires and it kicked on. It got cold again a few days later, so I turned the unit off.
When I went to turn it on again, we had the same problem. The unit outside was on, but I couldn't hear the fan blowing and nothing was coming through the house.
We gave up and shut it off for the summer because we couldn't afford to have someone come and fix it. The summer hasn't been too hot, so it wasn't really a concern until today when the humidity was unbearable.
My husband and I took a trip to the basement again to check it out to see if we could figure it out ourselves. The unit outside was still kicking on. We found a "switch" for the blower that said "push on or pull for auto." When we pushed the "button" in, the blower worked and the cold air came through the house.
The only problem is that it only works for on and not auto, so the air doesn't shut off when it gets to the right temperature. I tried changing the switch on the thermostat from fan to auto and back, but it still stayed on constantly.
I have a few questions,
1. Do you know what the problem might be? Is there a sensor that may be broken?
2. If we leave it on, will we blow the motor?
3. If we leave it on constantly, will it harm the unit outside?
The unit we have is a Thermo-Pride Oil Fired Furnace and the brand name on the actual "switch" that I refered to above is Honeywell.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers