We have had a problem with our AC all summer. We bought our house last year and used the central air all summer with no problems. When I went to turn it on at the beginning of this summer, I turned the thermostat to Auto, but the AC wouldn't go on. The unit outside went on, but nothing was blowing through the house. My dad wiggled a few wires and it kicked on. It got cold again a few days later, so I turned the unit off.
When I went to turn it on again, we had the same problem. The unit outside was on, but I couldn't hear the fan blowing and nothing was coming through the house.
We gave up and shut it off for the summer because we couldn't afford to have someone come and fix it. The summer hasn't been too hot, so it wasn't really a concern until today when the humidity was unbearable.
My husband and I took a trip to the basement again to check it out to see if we could figure it out ourselves. The unit outside was still kicking on. We found a "switch" for the blower that said "push on or pull for auto." When we pushed the "button" in, the blower worked and the cold air came through the house.
The only problem is that it only works for on and not auto, so the air doesn't shut off when it gets to the right temperature. I tried changing the switch on the thermostat from fan to auto and back, but it still stayed on constantly.
I have a few questions,
1. Do you know what the problem might be? Is there a sensor that may be broken?
2. If we leave it on, will we blow the motor?
3. If we leave it on constantly, will it harm the unit outside?
The unit we have is a Thermo-Pride Oil Fired Furnace and the brand name on the actual "switch" that I refered to above is Honeywell.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!